Mapping the Sanrafel Swell part II

great scott

OK I am going to try and do this again. Last time I wasn't very clear and then the thread went off topic. The Price BLM and the state Parks and Rec have a grant they are using to build a map off the Swell. As such they have invited some local users to be representatives for the motorized community. I and a few others are those reps. They/we are not doing this to close even more routs but rather to define the ones that are still open. At this point the map is almost ready to print, thus this post is more to inform then to get new ideas. But there is still some room for mild changes.

great scott

I have just returned from the 4th group meeting (several individual meeting in between) and here is the most current update. This map is as complete as we could get it with out over complicating. It dose show county roads and #'s, along with BLM roads, trails and #'s. The more popular routes have mileages and a generic difficulty ratting for all OHV's placed right over the trail. In time the trails will have signs with those #'s and ratings. It seems as though every thing is a compromise, and far from perfect. The ratting system sucks and then there are some legal routes still not on this map :mad: , the general consensus was it made it to clustered and some ares will need a separate day map.

great scott

Greg said:
Will there be routes for hiking, biking & motorcycles trails, in addition to the 4x4 trails? Sounds like a great project! :cool:

This is an OHV map that includes as much as they would let us show. So yes to all OHV's as a matter of fact I have been the bad guy on more then one account, as this map was nearly an ATV focused map, it took a lot of talking to make it full size friendly.
For the non motorized stuff we did show some hiking trails but not all. I know of no biking only trails so we did not show any. Bikers can use almost all the motorized trails so the map will still help bikers, but not show favorite routes.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
great scott said:
This is an OHV map that includes as much as they would let us show. So yes to all OHV's as a matter of fact I have been the bad guy on more then one account, as this map was nearly an ATV focused map, it took a lot of talking to make it full size friendly.
For the non motorized stuff we did show some hiking trails but not all. I know of no biking only trails so we did not show any. Bikers can use almost all the motorized trails so the map will still help bikers, but not show favorite routes.

Nice, I'll for sure buy one. I plan to spend some time there this summer and don't know jack about the area.

great scott

There is a lot to the Swell and a good book can go a long way. This map board is well rounded with; state, BLM, ATVers, 4X4ers, county and more all putting in there 2 cents, and the opinions are even more diverse. With; old home steads, indian artifacts, fossils, trails for almost any type of adventure, and so much more, its great place to explore. If you do make it down here feel free to drop me a line. To bad that we have lost so much of it.

TimB

Homesick
I spent quite a bit of time in the swell in November. Hopefully the Devils Racetrack, and that area will remain open to Jeeps. It looks like the BLM is maintaining that area as a more ATV area than anything. I was dissappointed that the Behind the Reef Road had a section that has been designated ATV only, and access roads to the "5 miles of Hell" Motorcycle area were closed as well. It would be nice if full size roads would remain open to full size vehicles.

There was a trail maintainer machine working the area when I was there. It is only wide enough for ATV's and in some cases is making the road harder for Jeeps while making it easier for ATV's. A prime example is the east road out of eagle canyon on the north side of the interstate. There were large rocks pushed into the road and the clear ATV path ran along the edge of the dugway. We were in capable vehicles and had no problems, but it definately makes it almost impassible for stockers. I was not happy to see the ATV and motorcycle bias.

The area is great though. Planning to make another trip next year.

great scott

TimB said:
I spent quite a bit of time in the swell in November. Hopefully the Devils Racetrack, and that area will remain open to Jeeps. It looks like the BLM is maintaining that area as a more ATV area than anything. I was dissappointed that the Behind the Reef Road had a section that has been designated ATV only, and access roads to the "5 miles of Hell" Motorcycle area were closed as well. It would be nice if full size roads would remain open to full size vehicles.

There was a trail maintainer machine working the area when I was there. It is only wide enough for ATV's and in some cases is making the road harder for Jeeps while making it easier for ATV's. A prime example is the east road out of eagle canyon on the north side of the interstate. There were large rocks pushed into the road and the clear ATV path ran along the edge of the dugway. We were in capable vehicles and had no problems, but it definately makes it almost impassible for stockers. I was not happy to see the ATV and motorcycle bias.

The area is great though. Planning to make another trip next year.

I hate to say it but ATVs are almost as big of threat down here, as are the greenies. I say this as one who owns ATVs motorcycles and full size 4X4s, but one of the biggest hurdles we are facing is losing trails to ATV only use.