Messing with spring packs

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thinking about pulling a leaf out of my YJ 4" springs, which I just got under my Toy. Though I haven't wheeled it yet, I think theres a bit too much arch for them to be really flexy. I was wondering which leaf to start with? I want to find another YJ spring pack, mabey 2.5" and combine the packs for a good combo of lift & flex. Should I begin by pulling from the bottom of the pack? Thats where I thought alot of travel would be lost, but I haven't messed with packs too much. What do you think?

I will be sure to get my truck all together and test it out before I begin changing stuff again, I just want to hear others experiences.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I messed around with pulling out springs once.
I pulled he bottom spring out, and yep got more flex,,,
but it didn't take long for the whole pack to start "S" shaping.

I would never recomend pulling out leaves, alll it does is weaken the pack.

I gained all my travel by switching springs.

I run Wagoneer springs on all four corners now.;)

This is the only time I raised a tire in Moab over Labor Day:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
wagg front and rear? Or just fronts on four corners? I have only seen a few run wagg rears. Look for thinner springs greg. pull the thickest ones and put in thinner ones off of another leaf pack. I think the'll be fine for ya but how many leaf is the pack?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I got to do some 2wd testing yesterday (Lack of a front driveshaft) and the springs give a stable road ride, so I wasn't expecting too much flex. The only places I could find to test the new springs were covered in snow, like the rest of Utah! It was a PITA to get it up this little frame twister I found, but w/ some R's the truck finally clawed its way to the top. The springs are actually pretty flexy!! I pulled a rear tire up on a rock and it looked as if my front susp. was working about equal to the rear, if not a bit more. I must say that I was impressed! The springs are 4 leafs, so if I ever did pull leaves, I would replace them with others, but hopefully thinner & less arched ones.

Ok, now heres where it gets FUN! :rolleyes: . I had a slight case of DEATH WOBBLE previously, but on my way back home (about 8 miles) I am getting D.W. .....BAD!!!! Over 30-35 mph, if I hit a bump, pothole etc, the truck would just shake all to hell. Those who have had it, know what I mean. I know what to do and what to check to fix it, just gotta do it. But if you have never had DW before, you should try it! The looks I got from a few people on the road were PRICELESS!! It was so funny, if I wasn't white knuckling the steering wheel, I would have been laughing at them! Anyway, thats where it sits as of right now. I doubt i'll mess too much with the springs till I can actually wheel with them, but thanks for the help!

BTW, Shawn- You don't mess around, huh? When you only lift a tire once in a trip, you sure go BIG!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
check to make sure you have positive caster. If your knuckles are straight up and down, you could get a visit from DW.