Mild single track trails in AF Canyon?

Kirk

I want to take my kids up and ride for a few hours one afternoon/evening this week. My 9 yr old has barely stepped up to a xr100 from a xr70. Its a still a little tall, and he now is learning about the clutch. He has ridden it a few times, and can manage on easier stuff ok.....

Any suggestions on some good trails (single track preferrabley)? Probably looking for 2-3 hour trips - would like to go up a few times over the next several weeks....

I also assume I can get a good map at the pay station?

Thanks
Kirk

sixstringsteve

I would recommend the dirt road up to silver lake flatts. There's some fun stuff to explore up there. I'd see how he does on that before taking him on singletrack up there.

The easiest singletrack is up there around the summit parking lot, but be aware that there may be a lot of hikers, mountain bikers, and horses up there. I'd do some mild fire roads first before hitting the singletrack.

Make sure he understands how to handle a horseback encounter: shut of the engine, move to the downhill side of the horse, and allow the horse to pass, they have the right of way. If the horseman doesn't mind you passing, wait for his signal that his horse is ready. Some of those horseback riders are awesome and very friendly. Others aren't.

More info about horse encounters:
http://www.americantrails.org/resources/ManageMaintain/sharehorseDaly.html

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would start at Timpenooke campground, take trail 150 to salamander flat. This is a pretty smooth trail but the first 1/8 mile or so is on a sidehill that would be bad to drop down,not death just hard to pick the bike up the steep slope. After that I would take 150 to where it meets pine hollow and then up to 157 ridge trail. This is a pretty tame section but will have more hikers on weekends than the tibble fork side of the canyon. The route up to 157 is about 6 miles. Once you hit 157 you can go either north or south and it isn't too technical. I would stay away from 40 or 41 going up. Either one isn't bad going downhill though.