Mini Excavators

This is probably a strange subject for this board, and I realize the EJS enthusiasts are out of town, but here goes:

I've got a bunch of yard projects that I could use a small backhoe/excavator for. Retaining walls, footings, stumps to remove, etc. Due to the prolonged nature of some of these projects, I don't want to rent/return a machine over and over. I'm thinking it would pay for me to buy an older mini excavator and hang onto it for a year or two and then sell. My budget would be 10-15k. Feel free to criticize this idea if you think I'm out of my mind.

I don't need something that will fit through a gate or anything, but I need it small enough to fit and work in the space a car would fit in. I'd also like to be able to two with a normal pickup. This leaves me thinking a 3500-7000 lb machine would fit the bill. The problem is that in that size range, there is a lot of difference. I'm guessing a heavier ~6000 lb machine would be better for some of the retaining wall footing work since I need to dig down around 6-7' below the surrounding surface. I'm guessing the bigger machine would be better for stump removal also. Other than that, smaller seems better - easier to tow, easier to fit in tight places, takes up less space when not in use, etc.

I've rented and used smaller machines, like 2-3k for various tasks, but I'm wondering what I don't know that I should be considering. Thoughts? Also if anyone has a lead besides what is on ksl, let me know.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am in a similar situation, however, I did it with a back hoe about 10 years ago. I finished the front yard, but still have the back yard to do and no real time line that I will be sticking to since we spend all our time and any extra money racing motorcycles. If I had it to do over, I probably would go the excavator route instead of the back hoe. My backhoe has been sitting for 3 years with very little use and it is amazing how much stuff quits working when they sit.

Yea, There are a few cases where a small backhoe would be more useful, but the excavator is nicer to dig with. Also with a small excavator, I can drive over the grass if I need to and just throw down a sheet of plywood to turn on. This is a big deal since my yard is pretty finished.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I love the idea..
I would also look at a small kabota type machine. I have been highly dissapointed a number of times with the power of a minix.

I love the idea..
I would also look at a small kabota type machine. I have been highly dissapointed a number of times with the power of a minix.

This is great! I love the idea of a 3000 lb machine for convenience, but I haven't done anything with one more than just digging a trench. My hunch is it wouldn't work well to dig out a stump or something like that.

Brian, What size machines did you find inadequate and for what kind of tasks?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have used the 9k lb mini ex. A handful of times. Not sure exactly how they size them.

I have felt like the mini's have not been as effective in digging power. Also, the front blade is fairly useless in moving dirt.
Maybe I don't know how to use them like a pro.. But I have had much better success using a bucket and hoe kabota.

Last edited:
Ah, Yes, I've used a kubota tractor similar to that, but even smaller. It was handy, but I didn't think the hoe was that powerful - maybe the one I was using was just too small.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I work for a new holland dealer and kioti tractor dealer. I'll see if we have any used machines. But I know they are few and far between

Caleb

I've thought about doing this same thing (buying and using for a few years then selling) many times. Now that my yard is pretty much done I don't have much use but I have rented a minix a couple times and was able to move large rocks (not sure weight, but they're pretty big, bigger than I can even get to move by hand) and dig a large pond (deepest spot was about 6' deep). I've since filled the pond in, but the minix dug it out no problem and my soil is extremely rocky (big basketball size rocks).