Moab are BLM needs some help on Steel Bender -- Material hauling --- Oct 25, 2024 @ 9:00am in/around Moab

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just had a contact at the Moab BLM office reach out asking for help. They need some folks to haul "materials" onto segments of the Steel Bender trail "at the end of October". https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=46 Who can help?

Primary objective from BLM
Haul fencing materials to 6 drop off points on the Steel bender trail.

Details:
The materials would be mostly 6ft t-post, 5ft carsonite post, fencing wire, a few range fencing h-braces. I would guess 50 t-post, 50 carsonite posts, two spools of wire, 5 h-braces. The goal would be to haul the stuff out to 5 drop sites. The heaviest thing would be the t-posts probably about 400lbs.
Material hauling to predetermined drop points would be the major objective:

BLM will accompany us with one ranger on an e-bike, another ranger as a ride along (possibly in my truck but wherever works for me)

Dates:
Friday Oct 25 seems to be the best day so far, per BLM. Nov 1 could work if others are available that day.

Would anyone be interested in helping from this group? 50 T-posts are probably the only real challenging thing to haul? I'm not sure how many Steel Bender worthy Gladiators we have on RME4x4.com but the BLM mentioned the Gladiators specifically. If there's enough bodies on both dates, one group could drop materials on Oct 25, the other group install on Nov 1

@mbryson ramblings (you knew those were coming)
A 6' steel t-post would seemingly fit in the 5' Gladiator bed angled from one corner to another. Bouncing 25ish of those around on a trail in the pickup bed doesn't excite me much due to potential damage to the bed interior. I'm going to repurpose my RTT bed rack to haul at least 25 T-posts rather than risk damage to my alum truck bed. Any other solutions for trail worthy pickups on the board?

I may have some Utah JT Gladiator group folks joining but they've been pretty non-committal so far. Thus me reaching out to the RME4x4.com folks

I'll keep track of the sign up below:

Primary objective:

Friday - Oct 25: (proposed material hauling -- need trail worthy pickups or ???) ----9:00am meeting point in Moab to be determined
1-@mbryson
2-
3-
4-
5-

Secondary objective:
Friday - Nov 1: (proposed fencing installation -- need willing bodies riding in trail worthy rigs) ----9:00am meeting point in Moab to be determined
1-@maverick
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't think I want to take on Steelbender in the LX until I get it armored, but if you want to put those T posts somewhere they won't do any damage I have a beat up old Datsun truck bed on 31s that I would offer to the cause.