Moab RV Parks

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Do you guys have any suggestions on a good campground in Moab? I am looking at Moab KOA, Moab Rim, Moab Valley, and Riverside Oasis. Also are they 4x4 friendly?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
From past experience, I can tell you that the koa is NOT wheeler friendly. I like the ok rv park behind the spanish trail arena. They are good people and its a nice quiet park.

rholbrook

Riverside Oasis is clean and friendly. They have an apartment, cabins and camping spots. Clean bathrooms and showers. The only bad thing is no campfires.

ret32

Trailer Life rates the Spanish Trail RV Park (a rare 10) and Moab Valley RV Resort (a slightly less rare 9.5) as the cleanest restrooms in town.

Archview RV Resort (which is for sale BTW) and Moab KOA are the only ones that advertise with Red Rock 4 Wheelers in the EJS Magazine. I don't think any of the parks are U4WDA sponsors. Nor are any of them SUWA Business Member for that matter (Lazy Lizard Hostel, on the other hand... interesting conundrum).

Canyonlands RV Resort
is the most central location, within walking distance of many of the restaurants and shops and has been very 4x4 friendly in my experience. They have graciously allowed the use of their picnic area for a variety of 4x4 club gatherings in the past. It's my favorite of the ones I've stayed at.

Slickrock Campground is my least favorite for camping (it's always been dirty and doesn't have a real great ambience, all dust and no grass). However, they seem to be the most tolerant of working on your broken rig right at your campsite all night long.

My $.02 based on my experiences, YMMV.

My take: OK RV is the cheapest and off the beaten path

Slickrock can be dusty and a little run down, bit they have lots of shade and are the most lenient. Good trailer parking.

Riverside Oasis is very clean and friendly. They are a little militant about the grass; tents must be moved every 3 days. Great trailer parking.

Canyonlands is nice and great location. Also the nicest pool.

KOA is ok, but less shade and not as friendly. It's also a ways from town.

RockChucker

if you are camping or RV, i would vote for Portal. It is next door to slickrock. we have always had good experiences with them. We also like canyonlands campground. the big plus to this one is it's right in the middle of town. behind texaco if i remember correctly. we are staying at moab rim in a couple weeks when we go down. it will be our first time there. all the ones we have stayed at, portal, moab valley, slickrock and canyonlands have been 4x4 friendly.

Bart

Most always stay at Canyonlands for the location. Pack Creek is cheapest place I've stayed and very 4x4 friendly.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Canyonlands fan here. Tough to beat it due to location and overall experience. I've liked ArchView as well. I've stayed at Spanish Trail, Pack Creek, KOA and Slickrock.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Maybe it has changed since the last two times I stayed there. The guy that was running the place was a complete jerk to me, my family and the rest of the group I was with. If that guy is gone, maybe different. I dont even remember his name. I just wont take the chance.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Maybe it has changed since the last two times I stayed there. The guy that was running the place was a complete jerk to me, my family and the rest of the group I was with. If that guy is gone, maybe different. I dont even remember his name. I just wont take the chance.

Pretty much the same experience my group had. The guy doesn't act like he wants our business, no problem, I can spend my money elsewhere.