Moab Swimming Hole

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
I was wondering if the swimming hole that was located up the river in front of Potato Salad Hill is still there? I hiked (walked) up to it and went swimming with some buddies many years ago there. It was just a secluded area with a perfect circular cliff to jump off of.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It was about 5 years ago, but the last time I jumped in it was maybe in 7 feet of water. Also not too secluded anymore

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
It was about 5 years ago, but the last time I jumped in it was maybe in 7 feet of water. Also not too secluded anymore

So you know exactly which hole I am referring to? Dang! What happened? I guess it's been over 5 years for me then. I wonder if the water is up since then? I just remember that we had to walk through lots of large trees to get to it.

Thanks for the reply and info. Anyone else been there recently?

Vector OffRoad

That is the waterfall up Left Hand. I was there two weeks ago and you could still jump off the Right hand side as you are facing the waterfall. Depending on the spring snow melt run off, the hole can become filled with silt. This year it didn't get too full of silt. It's a little more dangerous because of the rocks, but the waterfall right by Potato Salad has a nice deep swimming hole you can jump into. It also has some natural slides down a little lower that are pretty fun for a couple of minutes.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Thanks everybody for the updated info. Sounds like it could still be worth the walk.

BTW, Me and some buddies are planning a trip Sep 5 if anyone is interested or going to be there say hi! I will be with a mixed group in my 87 Silver lifted 4Runner.

ZUKEYPR

titlepage.jpg

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
That is definitely a different view that I ever had but it looks like it.

Steelbender has a swimming hole? I will have to look into doing that trail. That is one I haven't done yet.

notajeep

Just me
That is definitely a different view that I ever had but it looks like it.

Steelbender has a swimming hole? I will have to look into doing that trail. That is one I haven't done yet.

Drop in from the golf course side, about 1/4 mile into the trail about 100 yds after the first stream crossing on the right. There is kinda a pull off area where there has been a campfire. There is a little waterfall kinda thing, that if you are skinny enough (Meat) you can make a waterslide out of. Not a huge area but the wife and kids and I spent many a day there while Moab was blazing hot. It is in the canyon so almost always in the shade, there is sand. Just a perfect spot to spend a hot afternoon.

Meat_

Banned
Drop in from the golf course side, about 1/4 mile into the trail about 100 yds after the first stream crossing on the right. There is kinda a pull off area where there has been a campfire. There is a little waterfall kinda thing, that if you are skinny enough (Meat) you can make a waterslide out of. Not a huge area but the wife and kids and I spent many a day there while Moab was blazing hot. It is in the canyon so almost always in the shade, there is sand. Just a perfect spot to spend a hot afternoon.

-_-

That sounds delightful!! Thank you! :)

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
The place you are referring to is called the Power Dam. It is directly below Potato Salad Hill on Mill Creek. While the water is about 12-15 feet near the dam it is and always has been the place where many locals choose to hang out and swim. It is likely to be somewhat crowded, depending on what you define as crowded.

Lefthand was mentioned earlier, it is another 1 1/2 to 2 miles upstream. Obviously on the lefthand fork of the creek. It is considerably colder water and may not be deep enough this late in the year or if no one rebuilt the dam that causes the water to back up into a pool.

The Power Dam can be driven to, from either side. Lefthand must be hiked to from the Power Dam.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
NICE, WE GOT A LOCAL! Thanks man for the very specific info. We didn't have a chance to get there over the weekend. (It ended up being just a quick run)

I am going to try to get over there next time for sure!