Mobius Motors "Africa Ready" budget SUV.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/17/mobius-motors-sub-africa/

I keep wondering why there's no market for really inexpensive utility cars and light trucks in the US. Then I look at something like this, and it occurs that it isn't that there's no market, maybe it's just that they can't build them any cheaper than they already are. This thing is so bare-bones it doesn't even have windows, and they're still going to charge $10000 for it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
There is a market, and there's also mandatory airbags, tpms, fuel economy, seatbelts, etc... etc...

About that. When I saw it said it is an 8-seater, I decided to look at the online photos. There are two front buckets plus two inward-facing benches. As I squint at the photos of the rear benches, I don't see any seatbelts. Are they even there?

And one more thing. They say this is "go anywhere" transport for Africa. What does that entail, exactly? I see no listed specs about the driveline, and all their photos are of driving on graded dirt roads. That, too, looks like something that could be done with a 10-year-old Corolla.

:confused:

sixstringsteve

I'm guessing it's not awd or 4x4. you could just buy a honda CRV, lower it, and cut the back door off. :)

I wish there was a big market for a lightweight, economical, small 4wd pickups/SUVs because I like them. But with everyone wanting bigger and bigger trucks, I wonder if there really is a market for small trucks at all in the US.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
If I went on a tour of Africa and they made me ride in that thing I would be pissed! "Where's the Rover/Landcruiser at?"