montero sport dif locker

I have a 1999 montero sport xls. Im looking for a rear dif locker for it. Suposedly the dealership has an elctric one that can be added (it comes standard in the montero sport limited, :-( ) I called a local dealership here that was completely clueless. Can someone please point me in the direction of some info about a dif locker either from Mitsubishi or aftermarket.

shmoesmith

TK1 said:
Try ARB,they don't list a rear for a 1999 but I'll bet that they make one. Give them a call.

http://www.arbusa.com/

actually arb shows they make a front locker for your montero, just not a rear locker...I have searched all the major locker manufactures and havent found anything for your rear diff for a 1999 model. I think your only hope of a rear dif locker is do an axle swap with a 1995 montero sport (which arb makes the rear locker for,also you woul dhave to make sure its the same gear ration as the front axle)or find that factory locker for it.

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
caverspencer said:
I have a 1999 montero sport xls. Im looking for a rear dif locker for it. Suposedly the dealership has an elctric one that can be added (it comes standard in the montero sport limited, :-( ) I called a local dealership here that was completely clueless. Can someone please point me in the direction of some info about a dif locker either from Mitsubishi or aftermarket.

Most dealerships ARE clueless. If an electric locking diff is available, that is the way to go, though, in my experience with them, it's tough to retrofit them into the vehicles that did not come with them. Its easier to swap in an axle.
What you need to do is find some part numbers...

One more thing, in markets other than the USA the Mitsubishi Montero is also known as the Pajero. When you look for stuff for your montero, also look for stuff pertaining to the Pajero. Same vehicle. Different name. :)

That or get a vehicle with a cult following. Samurais, Land Cruisers, Toyota Minitrucks and Jeeps are good for that. Lots of parts are available, and are inexpensive.
For your needs, Spence, I would probably ditch the montero sport, and look at a Land Cruiser FJ60 or 80, or a Jeep Cherokee.

Last edited:
TigerStripe40 said:
Most dealerships ARE clueless. If an electric locking diff is available, that is the way to go, though, in my experience with them, it's tough to retrofit them into the vehicles that did not come with them. Its easier to swap in an axle.
What you need to do is find some part numbers...

One more thing, in markets other than the USA the Mitsubishi Montero is also known as the Pajero. When you look for stuff for your montero, also look for stuff pertaining to the Pajero. Same vehicle. Different name. :)

That or get a vehicle with a cult following. Samurais, Land Cruisers, Toyota Minitrucks and Jeeps are good for that. Lots of parts are available, and are inexpensive.
For your needs, Spence, I would probably ditch the montero sport, and look at a Land Cruiser FJ60 or 80, or a Jeep Cherokee.

but i just want a locker :(

actually ARD #rd25 is what I am looking for. I guess the next question is where do I purchase it from? and I will probalby have the work done by someone else, who would you guys recommend? preferably in the south salt lake county area

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
caverspencer said:
but i just want a locker :(

actually ARD #rd25 is what I am looking for. I guess the next question is where do I purchase it from? and I will probalby have the work done by someone else, who would you guys recommend? preferably in the south salt lake county area

Call Kurt Williams from Cruiser outfitters (518-3937 or CruiserOutfit on this board). He can get you a good deal, and is fair with installation prices. I have bought many parts from him, and have been a happy customer for a whiles now. He does mostly toyota and jeep stuff, but he is an authorized ARB dealer. He can get you anything you want from ARB.