Moorskin's CRF450x Dirtbike Rebuild/ Upgrade

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Jonny's bike needed some love. He doesn't get on here much so I'm going to help him document it.

05 CRF450x

After 7 years of relentless beatings it started to show. This bike virtually defies logic: with what we estimate to be over 700 hours or 4-5K miles on the ODO, The valves have only needed to be shimmed once.

Requiring only the finest in clean-room work spaces we selected and old paint/ storage shed chock full of crappy VW parts, painting supplies, an ancient fridge and various cast offs from remodeling jobs.

I also was able to locate a Fisher-Price 1 Mega Pixel digital camera and proceeded to smear vasoline on the lens carefully before each picture below.

Real motorcycle stands are for chumps! So I located one of my mother-in-law's kitchen chairs and proceeded to carefully modify it with a hammer.

After the careful preparation; we tore the bike down to replace some stuff and upgrade it.

First the wheels were a little beat up so we pulled the tires and sanded the wheels and painted them with some really tough black industrial enamel. (We'll see how it holds up).

Second the triple tree/ headset bearings where toast. He used a press to pull the old races out of the headset, but he didn't think to press the new ones in.
So we created a tool to do it by brazing a leveling foot from a big machine to a piece of rebar. It worked perfectly (I made sure not to take a picture so that fancy motorcycle shops wouldn't steal my idea).

Header Pipe needed some love, so we yanked it in favor of a whole new exhaust system from Yoshimura (RS-2 system).

The airbox on these bikes is notoriously constrictive, in fact, they have a snorkel and a huge screen, so following this video from RMATV/MC, we modded the airbox by cutting out a huge section.

I attempted to show our un-amused female observer how restrictive these two elements are by placing them in front of my face and trying to run around. Female giggles ensued, while I feebly mentioned something to the effect of sprinting while breathing through a straw...

[video=youtube;uZ3B7NJxKog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3B7NJxKog&src_vid=iIyl50J1rzk&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_2737876499[/video]

Airbox comes out after unbolting the rear fenders and rear subframe.

and remove the screen from the filter cage. (it's actually two screens layered)

We also capped off all the SMOG garbage.

After a new pipe and all the airbox mods we needed to rejet it to take advantage of the new bikes new ability to breath.

So knowing this he ordered a JD Jet kit.
I yanked the carb and got to work.

New needle is the JD RED needle with clip in the 4th position

Did the O-ring mod to the accelerator pump using the JD provided "FAT O-ring."

We also went from a 142 main jet to a 170 according to JD's recommendations. (We both thought it was odd that they didn't have us change the other jets.

After that, we got started reassembly on the front end (I'm glad Vaughn posted about not over tightening the triple tree clamps).

After finishing the front end, I left at 10:30pm
He picked up another friend from the airport at 10:45pm and they worked into the night and got the rear end buttoned up.

Now all that is left is: plastics, header pipe gasket and heat shield, and the Rekluse EXP 3.0

Not cheap but much cheaper than a new bike.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The jetting was absolutely perfect and the power was a great improvement. The bike used to just wheeze out at higher RPM's, but now it just keeps pulling and making power, The intake mods and full exhaust definitely helped a bunch.

As for gas mileage.. maybe not so much... 19.3mpg, however we were rallying up hill climbs and generally hooning about in the sand, so that likely was the cause of that.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So, Jony's valves finally went far enough that he needed to do a top end.
Lindsey Machine is doing a new bottom AND to end, new "R" valves (+1mm oversize).
Port and Polish, new piston with a little more compression and the works. I think a more aggressive cam also.
He's trying to stave off buying a new bike for a few more years.
Hopefully it pays off because I think the quote was around $2200.

Last edited:

rholbrook

One of my friends rebuilt his CRF450 two years ago and used THIS head instead of rebuilding his old one. He hasnt had to adjust his valves yet. I would go this route myself.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I should have been more specific: they are doing "R" sized aftermarket stainless valves and springs. He had well over 700 hrs on the stock "X" stainless valves.
Lindsay Machine estimates the top end work combined with the port and polish, and the intake and exhaust work we did earlier should net him 10 more hp.

rholbrook

That's a pretty good price for all that work! He's going to fall back in love with his bike after the head swap
Nah, way too heavy and he needs to roll those handlebars back. When I rode it this spring I kept thinking I was going to fall over frontwards. It ran good then though.