mosin nagant

airmanwilliams

anyone hunt with a mosin nagant? im thinking of getting one and setting it up to hunt with so I can learn this next year how to hunt. Ive only been out elk hunting once in oregon and that was it and REALLY dont know much about any of this yet.

plan to get a bent bolt handle to clear a scope, ati synthetic stock, bipod(I shake really bad so I have to have one to set up), nice 6-24x50 scope, timney 1.5 pound trigger

Last edited:

stimmie

I have an M44 made in 1948... really clean gun that I picked up 5 years ago for $67.xx out the door. After cleaning the cosmoline out best I could it's been a fun gun. Would I sporterize one? Probably not. I've taken it coyote hunting just for fun. It kicks like a mule and shoots fire out the bbl too :) Get a head space gauge to make sure it's safe to shoot. All in all it's a fun gun. I've thought about using it on deer or elk but I don't want to sporterize mine and take away it's awesomeness.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
anyone hunt with a mosin nagant? im thinking of getting one and setting it up to hunt with so I can learn this next year how to hunt. Ive only been out elk hunting once in oregon and that was it and REALLY dont know much about any of this yet.

plan to get a bent bolt handle to clear a scope, ati synthetic stock, bipod(I shake really bad so I have to have one to set up), nice 6-24x50 scope, timney 1.5 pound trigger

Is there a specific reason you're going for the Mosin? I'd just keep an eye on KSL.com or similar for a Remington 700 (or similar) bolt action 30-06 or similar (.270 or ??? caliber). They pop up around $300-500 all the time on there with a scope (that you may or may not like?). Bipods are anywhere between $25-100 depending on what you're after in one.

airmanwilliams

I may be getting an old 30-06 thats been in my family since my great grandfather and just thinking of getting the mosin for another old gun. I spent thanksgiving hunting dove in with my brother n law and we talked alot about these old guns and just thought it would be neat to sporterize one for hunting.

DAA

Just my opinion, nothing more, so please don't be hating on me all you Mosin Nagant fans...

But why go to all that trouble and additional expense - bolt handle, decent trigger, bi-pod, high magnification scope, in an effort to polish a turd?

When you can just go buy a used modern bolt action hunting rifle? That will most likely shoot circles around the M/N? Look around and you'll find tons of good hunting rifles all ready to rock for about $350 or so. A used Savage in .30-06 or 7MM with a decent 3x9 scope on it would be a vastly superior hunting tool than the one you are planning.

If you do go ahead with the M/N, just get the bolt handle setup to clear a scope, put a reasonably priced but sturdy low power scope on it and forget the rest. A high magnification scope and a decent trigger aren't going to yield much if anything in the way of useful hunting accuracy gains on a rifle like that.

Not to mention that...

...nice 6-24x50 scope...

A "nice" 6-24x50 scope is going to cost about ten times what a Mosin Nagent will cost you. And will gain you nothing but making your rig awkward and poorly balanced. And making it more difficult to carry and less rapid to deploy. It's turd polishing gone mad to the nth degree. And putting a CHEAP high magnification scope on a rifle like a M/N is taking a turd that can serve some purpose and putting an even bigger turd on it so that it can no longer serve that purpose. Cheap rifles can be good tools for certain jobs. But cheap scopes just suck ass. Always. Period. And cheap high magnification scopes put on heavy kickers that see any real use just break. Always. Period. Just don't do it... For a M/N, put a fixed 4X on it, maybe a 3-9 as long as it's not an el-cheapo.

Again, just my opinion, please feel free to ignore...

- DAA

airmanwilliams

forgot to say that another reason for the mosin is that I can get neatly all the things to mod it super cheap through a younger brother of mine, or atleast he says I can. I really was thinking alot about the same as you daa but then my brother said he can get parts fairly cheap for me and that if I build this and dont like it then either him or my brother n law are both wanting to buy it from me.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
There's a decent deal on a Ruger m77, bipod, Nikon scope for $500 (depending on the Nikon scope, you can spend $400 on that alone). You'll be spending that much on your Mosin accessories (I'd assume--I'm not sure what the infatuation is with the Nagants, but people seem to think they are cool for whatever reason). I'd not be stuck on a 30-06 but it's tough to beat for price of ammo, availability of ammo and capability of the cartridge. There are other calibers that would work fine as well. .270, 7mm, .308, etc.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=18246934&cat=377&lpid=9&search=

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't hunt with my mosin, but it is a really fun gun to shoot for cheap. ammo is 1/4 the cost of similar high powered rifles so you can practice. Mine is extremely accurate. Not DAA version of accurate, but plenty for me. I feel comfortable shooting it out to maybe 400 yards. I dont have a scope just open sights. If I was going to sporterize a mosin I would buy one done already.

They are a lot of fun. cleaning the cosmoline off them is not a lot of fun.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Just my opinion, nothing more, so please don't be hating on me all you Mosin Nagant fans...

But why go to all that trouble and additional expense - bolt handle, decent trigger, bi-pod, high magnification scope, in an effort to polish a turd?

When you can just go buy a used modern bolt action hunting rifle? That will most likely shoot circles around the M/N? Look around and you'll find tons of good hunting rifles all ready to rock for about $350 or so. A used Savage in .30-06 or 7MM with a decent 3x9 scope on it would be a vastly superior hunting tool than the one you are planning.

If you do go ahead with the M/N, just get the bolt handle setup to clear a scope, put a reasonably priced but sturdy low power scope on it and forget the rest. A high magnification scope and a decent trigger aren't going to yield much if anything in the way of useful hunting accuracy gains on a rifle like that.

Not to mention that...

A "nice" 6-24x50 scope is going to cost about ten times what a Mosin Nagent will cost you. And will gain you nothing but making your rig awkward and poorly balanced. And making it more difficult to carry and less rapid to deploy. It's turd polishing gone mad to the nth degree. And putting a CHEAP high magnification scope on a rifle like a M/N is taking a turd that can serve some purpose and putting an even bigger turd on it so that it can no longer serve that purpose. Cheap rifles can be good tools for certain jobs. But cheap scopes just suck ass. Always. Period. And cheap high magnification scopes put on heavy kickers that see any real use just break. Always. Period. Just don't do it... For a M/N, put a fixed 4X on it, maybe a 3-9 as long as it's not an el-cheapo.

Again, just my opinion, please feel free to ignore...

- DAA

X10
Every time someone shows up at the range with a Mosin Nagant I want to kill myself......it seems they always want to go on and on about how good of a gun they are..

Do yourself a favor and find a good quality rifle and learn to shoot it.. Cal-Ranch always has Remington 700 rifles for sale with a 3x9 scope on them for $350-400 depending on the sale. Go buy one and drive it down to me and I will adjust your trigger down to 3lbs and it will shoot better than you... and you can give it to your kid in 40 years because it will still work.