moto steering stabilizer question

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

I picked up a used GPR v1 stabilizer a while back and finally picked up a used mount for the old drz. I had to get new bars and a few other odds and ends to get it set up but finally did. It definitely works. I took it for a ride this afternoon only did about 14 miles round trip due to snow but I could really tell it works. The trails are really beat from big quads and UTV's muddin and i feel so much better ridding the rough stuff with it on.
My question is their seems to be some play i would say maybe 1/16" so back and fourth its about 1/8" before the resistance starts. Is this normal or is it a sign of a need for a rebuild?

SpeedyVic

I have been researching steering stabilizers for a little while now. I have been deciding between the Scott's and the GPR. From reading the GPR site, and a lot of biking forums, I have not seen any instance of creep in the damper before it does its thing. The GPR FAQ does mention that there is a 15 degree zone from center that will allow the bars to return to center without damping. But that doesn't sound anything like what you are experiencing.

If I were you, since you got this used, I would send it into GPR and have them service it. I know Scott's charges about $60 for a complete service. Have not heard how much GPR would charge, but it couldn't be uncompetitive.

Drop them a note, I'm sure they would gladly give you the info you are looking for.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/contact

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I've had a v1 and currently have a v4 and neither had "play" from center. If all the related hardware is tight and you're getting this kind of movement, I'd call GPR up and plan on sending it in for a rebuild. I don't believe they charge for a rebuild either.

SpeedyVic

:Threadjack:

Von, have you ever ridden with Scott's stabilizer? If you have, which one did you like better? I have heard that since the Scott's only dampens away from center, that you don't get as much fatigue.

Caleb

Good info... and that makes sense. My buddies that have sent theirs in have been the original owners.

I've also heard of him doing the rebuild for free even if they weren't the original owner. Deviant, I'd call up GPR and have a talk with him. I've always talked to Randy there and he has always been super helpful.

D

Deleted member 12904

Closer inspection shows the play is in the pin.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
:Threadjack:

Von, have you ever ridden with Scott's stabilizer? If you have, which one did you like better? I have heard that since the Scott's only dampens away from center, that you don't get as much fatigue.
I have never ridden with a GPR but I really like my Scott's.
I don't think you could go wrong with either one.