Motorcycle mechanic

Tonkaman

Since my Toyota died I've been cruising around the Tuono. Unfortunately the charging system just died and now I have no transportation. To make things worse, all the local shops are two weeks out to even diagnose it!

Are there any motorcycle mechanics on here that want some side work? This bike is a 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

If not does anyone care to walk me through it?

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
If I wasn't so busy and backed up in the shop right now I would shoot you my number but I am buried. I work on a lot of bikes of all makes/models.

If you want to take some voltage readings with the bike off and running at the battery and are comfortable with a VOM, I could possibley help walk you through some troubleshooting.

First off check all connections with special care at the grounds, then possibly we will have you see about getting a wiring schematic and walking you through the stator and charging/exciting coils.

Mike.

Tonkaman

Thanks for the offer guys. Jeeper on here picked it up and we did some diagnosis together. It seems my stator is dead, the voltage output was down around 10V. I ordered a new stator and gasket so hopefully it fixes the problem.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Bad stators often take out rectifier/regulators too

True, depending on how long the unit ran with the stator bad, or in some situations depending on what took the stator out. For the most part stators are rare to fail.

When you get the new stator installed and the bike put back together, very first thing check the output of the charging system at the battery. It should be in the 13.8-14.5~ish range. If it is outside of that shut it off and investigate before damaging any other components. If it is charging correctly you should be fine.

Not trying to scare you, I would say less than 10% of the stators that I have changed had any other issues. I would just like to see you confirm the repair before risking any other components.

Mike.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Is there any way to test the regulator without the proper power coming in?

If fallowed this flow chart and made it down to the bottom where we tested AC volts from the stator.
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Not really any way of testing it out of the system. Unfortunately with some electrical components the diagnosis process is testing all of the components that have specifications and can be tested and when they test good you have to go by your gut on the last couple.

Test the stator for AC output and then after the rectifier/regulator you should see DC volts and within the 13.8-14.5 range. The rectifier part is what converts from the stator AC output to DC for charging the battery and lighting/accessories and the regulator portion is what opens and closes to maintain the charging voltage range.

One way to assist in protecting the stator on any motorcycle is if the battery is dead or near dear use a stand alone battery charger to actually charge the battery. Don't jump start a bike and then rely on the charging system to charge the battery. The charging system is merely there to "replenish" the current used from the battery to run the bike and accessories, not to charge a dis-charged battery. This heavily taxes a stator and creates a lot of heat which can damage the stator as well as other charging system components.

Personally, I feel the say way about automotive alternators, don't use them to charge a dis-charged battery, just to replenish the power consumed during normal use. Anything more a person should use an actual battery charger.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Tonkaman

I replaced the stator and problem solved! Luckily it didn't fry the regulator/rectifier when it went bad. Upon further inspection we realized the wires coming out of the stator had rubbed the flywheel and shorted out causing the problem. I thought it odd that the wires survived for 7 years before rubbing the flywheel.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out and even offering to give me a hand. RME is a real treasure to have

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Glad to hear you are backing motoring down the road.

Also glad to see you located the initial problem and addressed it to avoid another stator replacement.

Mike.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I thought this thread title was odd Derek. The work you have done on your CRF shows you are a competent wrench. I get being overwhelmed though with multiple rigs down and just not wanting to fight things. Glad you got it all figured out.

Tonkaman

I thought this thread title was odd Derek. The work you have done on your CRF shows you are a competent wrench. I get being overwhelmed though with multiple rigs down and just not wanting to fight things. Glad you got it all figured out.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence. Honestly it was Brian who talked me into letting him have a crack at it. Once we teamed up it was pretty simple. My biggest problem isn't the wrench it's the diagnosis. Seems like my diagnosis for things electrical only work out 50/50

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
It was my sense of adventure, and Derek's ability that solved it. I have no problem ripping into someone else's bike! What's the worst that can happen, it's not mine!! :)
Derek was very well learned on the 'most probably' problems from forms and things he read. He had a great diagnosis flow chart with words I couldn't understand. With his understanding, and my awesome ability to hold the volt meter perfectly on the battery leads, we figured it out!