Motorcycle project opinions wanted.

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

So a little back story. I bought this KZ 550 about 8 years ago for $40. Got it running painted the tank with some candy blue fire started to shave the seat down and traded it to a buddy for a Ruger 10/22. He registered it never recovered the seat but rode it for a year and it has sat in his garage ever since. I bought it back from him for $100 with a brand new un mounted front tire a while back and totally forgot about it. Anyways he texted me today telling me to come pick it up he is sick of storing it for me haha. So I picked it up today now I don't know what to do with it.

A few ideas. Lets hear your opinions and ideas.

1- Sell it as is and not deal with it.

2- Get it running again cover the seat clean it up sell it and make a little money.

3- Build it into a Café Racer and keep it.

Few pics. The paint looks like it would actually buff out nice.

D

Deleted member 12904

So the popular vote seems to be sell it to me cheap so I can build a cafe racer or build a cafe racer and keep it.

Guess I will roll it in the garage until I finish up my basement man cave project then build a cafe racer.

Tonkaman

So the popular vote seems to be sell it to me cheap so I can build a cafe racer or build a cafe racer and keep it.

Guess I will roll it in the garage until I finish up my basement man cave project then build a cafe racer.

Great choice, I don't think you will regret it

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
If I were you I would keep it and build it. If not put me on the list of potential buyers. I am just finishing up a customers bike and have a free bike lift I need to occupy with a project.:D

Mike.

D

Deleted member 12904

I've been looking at a lot of inspiration myself. Im thinking I really need to run sport bike forks and tires and at that point I may as well build anew frame. I think I even have some of my fixture parts from way back when I thought a GSXR drop seat chopper build was a good idea.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Cool looking project.

What I have found is that it is almost a toss up between fabbing a new chassis and cutting/modifying the OEM one. For me it usually depends on not only the OEM chassis itself as they vary so much as to which ones can be "cleaned up" to be asthetically pleasing and which ones are like polishing a turd, but also on whether I am building a project with a "theme" or just looking to build something to catch the eye and then sell. If just looking to clean up lines and machine some parts to "tweak" the appearance and not want to mess with titling and such then I will modify the OEM frame. If I decide to change enough to give a completely new look then it becomes almost easier to fabricate an entire chassis and package it around the drivetrain.

I have also found that unless doing the same style chassis over and over, my jigs/fixtures end up getting modified or repurposed from chassis to chassis until they no longer resemble what I started with.

Mike.

D

Deleted member 12904

And so it begins

So I put it in the shed like this over the winter. Just pulled it out today. De greesed the engine and pressure washed it. The I pulled the carbs and have them soaking in ammonia right now. The pod filters showed up this week hope to fire it up maybe tomorrow.

That being said I'm not really into this project anymore. If anyone wanted to give me $200 for it I would likely say goodbye to it.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So I put it in the shed like this over the winter. Just pulled it out today. De greesed the engine and pressure washed it. The I pulled the carbs and have them soaking in ammonia right now. The pod filters showed up this week hope to fire it up maybe tomorrow.

That being said I'm not really into this project anymore. If anyone wanted to give me $200 for it I would likely say goodbye to it.

I would love to take this off your hands. I can transfer you money now via paypal or venmo or however you want, But I couldn't pick it up until next Saturday.