Mount Rushmore Trip

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don’t know why, but a trip to see Mount Rushmore has been on my mind recently.
Pretty much a straight shot through Wyoming from Salt Lake. Maps says 10 hours, which equates to about 15 with wife and kids according to my experiences.

However, I don’t know all that much about Wyoming. I’ve only seen long flat roads and open prairie each time I’ve driven through.

We have the flexibility to make it a hot shot drive there and back in day and a half, or can make a week out of it. I would assume best bet is just the family vehicle, and hotel if needed.. but could go full out with camper and offroad toys as well.

What would you do with a trip through Wyoming?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Go over South Pass and visit the Mormon Handcart historical sites along the way. I care not for the religion, but it is part of my family history and culture so I enjoy seeing that stuff.

Atlantic City.

Independence Rock is also interesting, and is also a great rest area.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
After doing this trip last summer, skip most of Wyoming and concentrate on South Dakota. It's a sudden change from windswept lifeless WY to awesome mountains and stuff. 🙂

Pile of parts

We really enjoyed staying and hiking around Devil's Tower when we travelled through that area. Of course, it is required to watch "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in preparation for such a visit.
Yep, definitely Devils Tower. There's a lot to see between Spearfish and Rapid City. That whole area is full of stuff. I get up there about twice a year for work and have been thinking about putting a trip together as well. I don't get time to explore when I'm up there for work. My problem is that I want to drag the Jeep along and see what the Blackhills trails are like.

Oh... about you question on what to do with a trip through Wyoming - Drive as fast as you can to get through it.🤣

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Drive as fast as you can to get through it.🤣
My advice was going to be SPEED. 🤣

We went to SD when I was a teenager and it was awesome but we camped and that was a significant portion of the fun. I’d like to take my kids there sometime for sure.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We did this trip two years ago, it was awesome. The Wyoming part is extremely boring till you get to Sundance area. We hit devils tower, had tornado winds and hail, then went to spearfish for a week and went all over that area. We loved SD so much we considered moving there.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We went when I was a kid and the thing I remember most was the place we camped had a water slide that was pretty cool and we went to a drive through the zoo kind of thing for bears. I still laugh thinking about the pickup truck driving through it pushing meat and pumpkins and stuff out the back and all the bears were running trying to catch up and get into the bed of the truck.

DesertRam

That part of the country is cool. We did this trip from southern NM a few years ago. Some highlights for us (aside from the monument itself) include:

We did a gold mine tour with after-tour gold panning. Little kids dig it.

If you like trains, ride the 1880 train: https://www.1880train.com/
It's pretty cool, like a small version of the Silverton/Durango train.

If you're in the area, the Mammoth Site is worth a visit: https://www.mammothsite.org/

Take your kids here: https://rushmoretramwayadventures.com/attractions/aerial-adventure-park/
Mine loved it!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We have done a Mount Rushmore trip a couple of times. The first time we based out of Custer and this last time it was closer to Sturgis. This most recent trip we did Devils Tower. I would take the time and go spend some time in Deadwood, Custer and some of the other places that surround Mt. Rushmore.