Moving SUCKS!!

Cascadia

Undecided
Moved my entire house today. 2300 sq ft, 2 car garage, plus some basement storage. It is the suckiest thing I have participated in in a long time. We were planning on building a house and living there for a few years while we save some cash for an area we love. But it really has me rethinking that idea. I narrowed my 2 car garage of junk down to about a 5x4 space about 4 feet high. But none of it is junk now.

The suckiest part is in the morning when you put pandora on your iphone. You realize you don't have an iphone 5 plug in the room. So you put you phone in a large glass cylinder to amplify the sound a little, which worked great. Until you go to take the iphone out to change rooms and you realize there was 3 inches of water in there with it. :mad: Played music great for 2 hours after that in rice. Wouldn't shut off. Eventually it died and I don't see a resurrection anytime soon.

Caleb

Bummer on the phone. Best thing I ever did was hire EZ's guys over as Fast Movers to move me. I'll never move myself again.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Hmm.. I would have thought that looking into a a class object prior to dropping in phone would have been on the to do list.. but what do I know??

good luck with the unpacking :)

Cascadia

Undecided
Hmm.. I would have thought that looking into a a class object prior to dropping in phone would have been on the to do list.. but what do I know??

good luck with the unpacking :)
Haha. My brother said the same thing. I did. There was a line printed on the glass right where the water was. I looked through it and in it and saw no water. Oh well.

I saved the best for last though. I rode my 300 out of the garage tonight and never looked back.

Ok, I lied. I looked back. The garage was way bigger than I ever remember it. :rolleyes:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
We moved last August... (yes, in the heat like you) and did pretty much everything by ourselves... which means I did the heavy lifting and most of the hard work. :rolleyes: I've said it before, but I don't want to move again... I like Caleb's idea.

R

rockdog

One thing about it. When you move, you realize just how much junk you have accumulated !! The house we are in, is where I plan on dying!
Well, after growing old I hope.

comingdown

I just moved on Tuesday and all day Wednesday. Terrible experience, it was the wife and i's 4th move in 3.5 years. we will prob do it again next year. The ironic thing is, i arrived up here in utah with a ford contour and one tote of stuff in 2009. my first move in when we got married i did in my pickup, but not anymore, those days are long gone. I fear i married a hoarder... but at any rate, yes, moving sucks, and there is really nothing else to say, except that moving sucks.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Our fist move, 1 year after marriage, took a 20' trailer fully loaded. Our second move, 5 years later took 3 fully loaded trailers.. And that didn't include the garage or shed. I am still bringing home trailer loads from the garage over there, and it's been a year.
Just in year we have been in iur current house, it would be Impossible to to get everything we have now into the last house.

HoardersRus

Last edited:

comingdown

Collecting rent on the old house will hopefully help to heal the wounds caused by this move. I'm sure we will be moving again in the next 12-15 months, but i like the thought of hiring movers. I'll have to look into that.

idahoyj

i like the thought of hiring movers. I'll have to look into that.

This is the only way to go!
A couple years ago, I had to move into a rental house while we built new. When we moved into the rental, we spent 3 FULL days moving. When we moved from the rental into the new house, we hired movers! They got everything into one truck (like Tetris) and had it dispersed into the proper rooms at the new house within 6 hours (2 guys) of starting the job. We had everything boxed, but it was awesome to have them do ALL of the lifting!
I think they only charged me like $200.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I seriously hate the idea of moving. I've lived here for 8 years now, just a bit longer than the last town. But I moved 3 times there, 2 times were with movers. But I've NEVER lived in one HOUSE for 8 years even when growing up! It took a 26' UHaul truck, and two of their big trailers, 2 pickup loads and 2 cars full of stuff to get into this house... Might take 3 of those trucks now. UGH!

Houndoc

Our last moves was also two stage- into a rental for 8 months while new home being built. In new house just over a year. Hope to never do it again!

Last month helped move my parents out of the house they had been in for 38 years. Way too much work, but worth it to have them closer to us.