music review: Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Kind of a twin review of two groups with a similar idea: two singers, man and woman, paired.

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova--The Swell Season: I didn't know too much about these too. Marketa has kind of a delicate Eastern European beauty to her, and Glen Hansard has sort of a.. UK island sensitivity, I guess. I don't know if he's actually from Ireland or anything. Anyway most of the songs on this album are kind of slower, quieter songs... with piano, violins, that kind of thing. Nice, sort of bittersweet, melancholic lyrics. Fall music, kind of makes sense given the title I guess. Marketa is mostly in the background, but her presence adds a fullness and a nice femininity to all the songs that I found quite nice. I'm very sick of death metal damnit.

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan--Sunday at Devil Dirt: Ms. Campbell is, I think, a producer or something. She's quite pretty. Other than that I don't know anything about her at all. She has a very nice voice. Mark Lanegan is the singer of the late Screaming Trees, as well as a solo artist, and sometimes singer in Queens of the Stone Age, notably on "Songs For The Deaf" and the song "Into the Fade".
This album is pretty.. low-key, but in a kind of brooding, darker way. Part of that is just Lanegan's voice, but not all. Another good fall album, "Sunday at Devil Dirt" is not a bad album to drink to I suppose. The whole thing has kind of a back-room, shady feel to it. Like you're in a crappy town with an old hotel, and the locals are kind of menacing.

That is all I have to say.