My connundrum

kobyhud

Lurker
I have been having a devil of a time trying to find a dana 60 for a reasonable price. Last weekend I sheared the yoke ear on my outer shaft on my front dana 44. I know I am well past where I should be on stock shafts and u-joints for the 44 with 38" Creepy Crawlers.

I now need to replace the outer shaft and the u-joint. I should probably get the inner shaft while I am at it.

Do I try and find a junkyard replacement? (I am stock 79 waggy as far as shafts go) and wait for the 60??

Or...

Do I spring for some cromoly shafts and u-joints and keep running it?

My understanding is that CTMs and Warns (or Superiors) end up being about equal to non cromoly 35 spline 60s and stock u-joints.. Is this a correct assumption???

I realise that I still have a weak link in the d44 knuckles and in the 44 ball joints.... how weak are these points?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437439

Check out 'HighHonda" on PBB........ he's always got a 60 laying around. Shipping is pretty interesting, but depending on what he has and what you want, it might be totally worth it. The thing I like about the 60 is I'm running stock parts and still have an upgrade path if needed. If you're at the alloy axle, CTM point with a D44, you're pretty much done if you continue to have issues.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
mbryson said:
$3K? How much is shipping?

I'm guessing that includes gears/locker, and stuff.

I normally would vote for a 60 without question, but you can get a good upgrade in shaft strength for a bit less money if you go with Yukon alloy inner/outer shafts. Cody (on here) broke a buttload of stock 44 shafts, then got Yukons--to my knowledge, he never broke them.

Ujoints will be the next weak link, if you keep stockers--although they'll still last longer in a good set of shafts than they would in Spicer shafts. There are quite a few options now for upgraded Ujoints if you decide to get them as well--Besides CTM (which are great), Randy's has their own under the Yukon name, Longfield makes one, OX makes one.....

kobyhud

Lurker
the deal is that he doesn't usually get rotors and hubs that are in good shape from the bone yards... so in order to have working SRW chevy hubs with a descent set of rotors you have to spring for 400 bucks of parts right there... core is like 700-800.. 400 in hubs and rotors... but 5.13 r&p is like 250 new bearings etc... with 35 spline lockouts and outers and badabing 3K... shipping via forward air is about 150 the last time I priced it for a 450 pound item. No locker necessary... I have one of those.

mbryson

Supporting Member
kobyhud said:
the deal is that he doesn't usually get rotors and hubs that are in good shape from the bone yards... so in order to have working SRW chevy hubs with a descent set of rotors you have to spring for 400 bucks of parts right there... core is like 700-800.. 400 in hubs and rotors... but 5.13 r&p is like 250 new bearings etc... with 35 spline lockouts and outers and badabing 3K... shipping via forward air is about 150 the last time I priced it for a 450 pound item.

I don't know why the hubs would be in poor shape (bad bearing/race?), but it wouldn't hurt to get new rotors. I think I paid about $50 per or something from GM for new rotors, though. Straight from the GM dealer :D

I know lots of guys running 30 spline outers without busting yet. I know some comp guys that have just upgraded over the past couple of years.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I CAN GET AN AXLE TO YOU

if you can wait a week or two. I am in NY right now, and will happily grab one for you, I will be pretty close to Highhonda. At 7.5mpg I'll have to ask for a little rythm on gas costs LOL but I'd be happy to help you out.

Gimme a call if you want to try and work that out. Tacoma 435 224 2453

mbryson

Supporting Member
Tacoma said:
I CAN GET AN AXLE TO YOU

if you can wait a week or two. I am in NY right now, and will happily grab one for you, I will be pretty close to Highhonda. At 7.5mpg I'll have to ask for a little rythm on gas costs LOL but I'd be happy to help you out.

Gimme a call if you want to try and work that out. Tacoma 435 224 2453

There you go!!! :D

neagtea

Supporting Member
I ran a 44 with ctm's and warn shafts with 38" tires. It held up well but you have to watch the skinny pedal. If you don't want to build a 60 spend the money for shafts and joints. The 60 will allow you to be a little more agressive with the throttle. I wheeled with Bobby Long last weekend and he has some interesting things to say about shafts as he has a machine that will break axles and read the amount of torque before it lets loose. A stock 60 shaft will let loose at around 860 ft. pounds and the alloy's start breaking around 1300#. He has his new joints out that look good with a lifetime warr. If you are at rocky mtn. raceways this weekend stop by his booth and have a chat. It might be enlightening as he and his wife are very cool. His joint prices are good. By the way My ctm's wore out the bushings and were 69.00 ea. to replace.
Just my 2 cents

kobyhud

Lurker
Talked to bobby long. He says sure.. you can get the u-joints to be plenty strong... then you are back to the shafts being sucky again though. He says you won't break one of my u-joints but my ujoints will be happy to tear the ears off of aftermarket shafts. Ultimately it keeps coming back to me pushing my luck with a dana 44 on 38s. It seems like I would be fine it I wasn't getting crazy on the throttle.

I ended up breaking on wayne's world last saturday. That obstacle is getting crazy. I couldn't even make it on 38s ... the rocks are sooo polished. I needed a little more clearance to the fenders and I prolly woulda had it a couple of times. But even still 38s... wailing it... and I still didn't make it... Its getting so that the common man can't make that at all anymore.

Used to be that people said if you can't make wayne's world don't bother with constrictor. Not true anymore for sure.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
kobyhud said:
Talked to bobby long. He says sure.. you can get the u-joints to be plenty strong... then you are back to the shafts being sucky again though. He says you won't break one of my u-joints but my ujoints will be happy to tear the ears off of aftermarket shafts. Ultimately it keeps coming back to me pushing my luck with a dana 44 on 38s. It seems like I would be fine it I wasn't getting crazy on the throttle.

I ended up breaking on wayne's world last saturday. That obstacle is getting crazy. I couldn't even make it on 38s ... the rocks are sooo polished. I needed a little more clearance to the fenders and I prolly woulda had it a couple of times. But even still 38s... wailing it... and I still didn't make it... Its getting so that the common man can't make that at all anymore.

Used to be that people said if you can't make wayne's world don't bother with constrictor. Not true anymore for sure.

I made it today first shot, not wailing. 2 out of 3 made it but one broke:mad: