My new daily driver, -OR- it's all my fault gas prices shot way up

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've had this idea for a number of months now. I began keeping an eye on the local market back in December. Finally, at the end of February, I found the perfect candidate... and I began putting my plan into action.

Step #1: I sold my electric car to a private party. Bye, bye, Leaf!
kG8khk5.jpg

Step #2: I used some of the Leaf money and bought a Corvette. Hello, hotness! (Sorry it is so filthy in this photo.)
WISdAxk.jpg

And of course immediately after I make this switch, the price of gas jumps a buck a gallon. Sorry, everyone.

On the plus side, I am commuting in much more style these days. :cool:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've had this idea for a number of months now. I began keeping an eye on the local market back in December. Finally, at the end of February, I found the perfect candidate... and I began putting my plan into action.

Step #1: I sold my electric car to a private party. Bye, bye, Leaf!
kG8khk5.jpg

Step #2: I used some of the Leaf money and bought a Corvette. Hello, hotness! (Sorry it is so filthy in this photo.)
WISdAxk.jpg

And of course immediately after I make this switch, the price of gas jumps a buck a gallon. Sorry, everyone.

On the plus side, I am commuting in much more style these days. :cool:

I like it.

How long does it take to grow the mullet?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
How long does it take to grow the mullet?

No, no, no. I'd need a mullet if I bought an IROC-Z. Corvette drivers wear gold chains and white New Balance tennis shoes.

I want to live this life.....short commutes are the best

I don't understand why, but C4s are at the lowest spot of the Corvette value curve, and have been for quite some time. Right now on KSL, there are a number of them listed--which admittedly have a few issues, but are nonetheless solid drivers--for $4500 to $6000. I paid $5000 for mine. This is a fantastic value IMO.

What baffles me most of all is how other vehicles from this era which were more common and/or sold for far less money new are now selling for more than a Corvette. The aforementioned Camaro IROC-Z, being one. The Pontiac Fiero being another. I don't know if it is nostalgia kicking in or what, but so many cars which ought to sell for less than a contemporary Corvette just... aren't.

Get in now while the prices are still good.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
No, no, no. I'd need a mullet if I bought an IROC-Z. Corvette drivers wear gold chains and white New Balance tennis shoes.

I don't understand why, but C4s are at the lowest spot of the Corvette value curve, and have been for quite some time. Right now on KSL, there are a number of them listed--which admittedly have a few issues, but are nonetheless solid drivers--for $4500 to $6000. I paid $5000 for mine. This is a fantastic value IMO.

What baffles me most of all is how other vehicles from this era which were more common and/or sold for far less money new are now selling for more than a Corvette. The aforementioned Camaro IROC-Z, being one. The Pontiac Fiero being another. I don't know if it is nostalgia kicking in or what, but so many cars which ought to sell for less than a contemporary Corvette just... aren't.

Get in now while the prices are still good.
I really wanted to buy a mid 80's IROC and LS swap it. I found a few clean body cars and they were all close to $10k. Not sure if a lot of them fell victim to cars for clunkers like the Ford Rangers did.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Since your going to install a HAM in this new daily, you definitely need a big Smokey and the Bandit style antenna on that baby.

OMG, yes! You're right--I need to do this. Perhaps I can repeat what I did in the Metro, where I removed the DIN-and-a-half stereo and replaced it with an aftermarket radio plus my Yaesu FTM-7250 ham radio, sandwiched together via some custom brackets. Hmm....

Now I want a C4, and I've never liked Corvettes later than the 70's.

As a child of the '80s, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the C4. But even outside of that, I think it's just a fun car to drive. Sure, it's not the fastest thing you can buy... and it's not the most rattle-free driving experience you'll ever have... but it is loaded with character. You'll have to drive it sometime.

So why did you get rid of the leaf? You were totally on that train.

I got rid of it for two main reasons.

#1: I wanted more '80s in my commuting life. The Grand Prix drinks fuel like a fish and is an unwise choice if there is even a hint of water on the roads, and the Shelby has its own issues that keep me from driving it very much. So, naturally, the answer was to get another car more fitting to daily use.

#2: financial. I sold it for $1800 more than I paid for it three years ago. I used some of the money to buy the Vette, and some more of it to buy an engagement ring.

And speaking of money, the Leaf was very expensive to insure--I have no idea why. Buying the Vette forced me to change insurance companies because Bear River said the Vette was "too old" for full coverage. I am now paying less to insure the Vette + the Suburban + the Jeep + my trailer at Progressive than I was paying to insure just the Suburban + the Jeep + my trailer at BR.

Yes, this means I'm buying more gasoline. But considering how little I drive, plus the fact that the Vette is significantly more economical than the Suburban and the Grand Prix, I figure the impact to my wallet isn't gonna kill me (even though the Vette does require high octane). Besides, how can you put a price on driving happiness?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Fifteen month ownership update
I've been daily driving the Corvette for 15 months now, except on days with (potentially) snowy roads. How has it been? In a word, blissful. The car frequently draws comments and thumbs up from a variety of onlookers. The rotating headlights have a celebrity status all their own. To wit:

Anyway, down to the serious question you guys are all wanting to ask: how reliable has it been? Fair question, given the car's age, its miles (76k at time of purchase), and the fact that I pressed it into daily driving status immediately upon purchase. So far, it's been pretty good overall. A few months ago, the MAF sensor began dying on me (caused poor air:fuel ratio and made the car nearly undrivable, though I did limp it home). And just last week, the ignition module inside the HEI distributor died on me, stranding me at work. But those were both easy diagnoses and relatively inexpensive replacements, so I'm not complaining.

Also, for the curious: my lifetime fuel economy has averaged right at 19 mpg, which is definitely better than my two big block V8s and the Jeep. I tell people this is my economy car.

I got into this vehicle hoping for tons of '80s nostalgia and panache, with the bonus of open-air freedom. In these respects, this car has turned out every bit as satisfying as I had hoped.

Last edited: