Narrowing My Bronco

mswasey

Bronco Molester
I am narrowing my EB, here are a few pics.
Has enyone done this and do you have any tips on getting things lined up when welding back up, dash options, etc?

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
mswasey said:
I am narrowing my EB, here are a few pics.
Has enyone done this and do you have any tips on getting things lined up when welding back up, dash options, etc?
I know someone who has tubed and narrowed the front end of his EB, which I am getting ready to do, but you are narrowing the whole thing, right?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Woah... thats a super clean EB to be hacking it up! :eek:

My friend Chris Holley narrowed his 8"... just take lots of measurements, use masking tape to lay out where you want the new lines, etc.

Good luck, looks like alot of work!

mswasey

Bronco Molester
Yea, I am narrowing the whole thing. Just like Greg said I will take 8" out of the tub, 13" from the grill and tube the front end.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
mswasey said:
Yea, I am narrowing the whole thing. Just like Greg said I will take 8" out of the tub, 13" from the grill and tube the front end.
Please post pics when it is done, I'd love to see. What year is it? Mine is a 72.

mswasey

Bronco Molester
Mine is a 74. We narowed the front end of Brent's 73 (the yellow one that was in the Moab trip report by Coreshot) last winter and tubed the front end as well. I just hope mine turns out as well as his. I will post pics as I go along.
Thanks to Brent, John and B-Rad who helped me tons yesterday.

muleskinner

:eek: Looks like your commited now! I guess I'll have to come take a look. By the way, your garage looks SWEET! Are you in your new house now?

mswasey

Bronco Molester
Yea, we are in the house now....fiinally. I am sick of working on the house so I decided it was time to dive into the Bronco projects for the winter. Thanks for the compliment on the garage, it just needs a little breakin in! I need to come check out your suspension, as that will be next after I get the body back together.
Mark, I thought heavily about the space but I can't keep the body off the rocks the way it is. I hope I don't regret the space loss. I thought of removing the rear wheelwell completely and seal the hole with flat steel to gain some space for the kids in the back. Thoughts? I may be able to fit a wider seat in that space with an extra 6-8".

grinch

inner city redneck
Wow your in for a treat... We narrowed my buddies 70's k5 blazer about 4 years ago.... about 18". May it rest in pieces.... literally.
We were building it for comps way back in the day lol...
Anyhow it ended up being easier to build the cage and then just taking the outer skins, narrowd hood, grill, ect. and making them fit the cage. Build your own floor, firewall, ect.
You lose alot of weight this way and I mean alot. The downside is that its alot of work. 4 years later that exact same blazer is in my gurage being completly redone..... Its been rolled so many times you cant tell what it used to be... lol
Good luck on your endevors.....

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
rckcrlr said:
I narrowedmy frt...13" outof the grill, stock at the firewall. I like the space for seats and console....
Thats what I want to do on mine. Do you have any hints or pics? Did you have to get a new radiator?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
yellowbronco said:
Thats what I want to do on mine. Do you have any hints or pics? Did you have to get a new radiator?

My frt end was already tubed out, not inner fendersand custom radiator/mnt....
Your hood will end up a little longer than your fenders, I just mnt'd my fenders to the frt of the door post rather than over it. Made up the gap at the post with my door inserts....But my body is FAR from looking good :D Lets just say it resembles a Bronco....

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
grinch said:
Anyhow it ended up being easier to build the cage and then just taking the outer skins, narrowd hood, grill, ect. and making them fit the cage. Build your own floor, firewall, ect.
You lose alot of weight this way and I mean alot
this way seems easier and better in the long run. but hey, whatever works :D

Dave Harward

Hello Mike, looks like your going to the next level with your bronco. It was nice seeing you again on the price run, if you need help with the bronco project drop me line.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Andy said:
That makes me want to cry! You should have just started a buggy, right now I would kill for a clean street ride like that!

Andy

Andy,
I have wheeled with Mike for years and it looks like a pretty street ride but it has been there and done that. ;)

He just takes care of his stuff,

Mike has a tendency of doing things right, and having it look awesome as a result... :greg:

jinx

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Jinx said:
Andy,
I have wheeled with Mike for years and it looks like a pretty street ride but it has been there and done that. ;)

Sorry but I know from experience it hasn't been there and done that, they look alot worse if that's true.

Andy

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Andy said:
That makes me want to cry! You should have just started a buggy, right now I would kill for a clean street ride like that!

Andy

Yep, I feel the same way....

Take it from the 2 guys that have cut the he!! out of thier broncos....

I wish i would have left the Bronco alone and built a buggy too.
But I guess our advise is tooooooo late. :D
Marc

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Andy said:
Sorry but I know from experience it hasn't been there and done that, they look alot worse if that's true.

Andy

I guess I am not hard core, :rolleyes: but 1100 forward and 1150 reverse on 30* ramp, plus rusty nail, prichett, proving grounds, 21 road, colorado, pinnacle trail, price, all the trails the color country 4 wheelers have to offer, plus several trips to AZ seem a little more than your typical subaru trails.

Hell this isn't even my rig and I don't know you but I guess my point is don't let pictures fool ya, and whether or not a rig looks beat to hell has more to do with the driver than the trail it been on...