National Park Service> Off-Road Vehicle Use in Glen Canyon

U4WDA

Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association
U4WDA-Logo-Small-Horz.jpg

National Park Service to Prepare Report Regarding Off-Road Vehicle Use in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area​

September 5, 2007 – The National Park Service has published a Notice of Intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for an Off-Road Vehicle Management Plan in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (NRA), found in Arizona and Utah. The purpose of the EIS is to provide a plan by which ORV use at the Glen Canyon NRA will be regulated. The EIS will focus on three primary areas of ORV use: (1) Lone Rock beach area; (2) at 14 designated accessible shoreline areas; and (3) on 388 miles of park roads. A scoping brochure has been prepared that discusses the purpose of the plan and the details identified to date. The brochure, along with other information can be accessed online by clicking here. A copy may also be obtained at Glen Canyon NRA headquarters.

Public meetings will be held at the following locations:

September 20th, 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Glen Canyon NRA Headquarters
691 Scenic View Drive
Page, Arizona

September 24th, 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Monticello Welcome Center
216 South Main Street
Monticello, Utah​

Comments from the public must be submitted by October 1, 2007. Comments may be submitted through the website link above, or through postal mail to:

ORV Management Plan/EIS
Glen Canyon NRA
P.O. Box 1507
Page AZ 86040​

For further information contact Kevin Schneider at (928) 608-6200. To view the original notice as posted in the Federal Register, click here.

Seth

These go to 11
Simple comments during this period are perfectly acceptable. There is no need to get into specific trails or issues. A simple "I utilize this area in my Jeep and would ask that motorized access be maintained" is fine.

This is the preliminary step before the RMP is planned. Make your voice heard! Now is the time for the ounce of prevention!

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Comment period ends Oct.1st

If you haven't already submitted your comment, do so.

I hope everyone realizes that the Glen Canyon NRA has a lot of great roads including Hole In The Rock. I hear that the Park Service claims that the Rincon Trail does not exist.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Short, but hopefully to the point.

"I utilize the Glen Canyon area in my Jeep and would ask that motorized access be maintained. Specifically the Hole in the Rock trail which is in need of major road work due to the washout in Lake Canyon. I would also like to see the Park Service officially recognize the Rincon trail due to its historic use and its unique scenic qualities.

Thank you for your time.

David Adams
Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Land Use Officer
Moab Friends for Wheelin'
Tread Lightly trainer
Utah Trail Patrol
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
Utah Shared Access Alliance
Blue Ribbon Coalition
Untied 4 Wheel Drive Association"