Need an Officers Help

Cascadia

Undecided
Yesterday my brother and I were going long boarding down the canyon. We were meeting at the mouth of Provo canyon and car pooling up. My brother got there before me and was waiting for us. We could find the bike attachment for my wife to pull the baby jogger.

When we pulled up my brother was acting all sneaky behind his tinted windows. I find out he was spying on some people across the parking lot. I look over and there is a very shady looking guy grabbing some tools out of the back of a truck. He would look around and then hurry and put them in his front seat.

My brother had been there for 20 minutes. He said he saw the white ford pull up and get out and go on a walk with a friend. Just got there and left right away. Then this accord pulls up and starts scoping out the truck inside the can and bed. He said the guy did this for about 10 minutes while smoking. That's when I pulled up and saw him taking some tools. Looked to be roofing nailers. He had a double til air in the back and ladder so usually its a roofer.

I am a contractor and I hate thieves and hate my tools being stolen. I drove over and confronted him. He seemed caught off guard but had very quick answers for me. I asked him if he knew the guy and why he was taking the stuff. He says I work for him. I need it for a job. I may be wrong but nobody needs a roofing nailer at 8 at night and chances are if he needs the tools the boss will probably meet him at the job the next morning.

I told him I was going to get both license plates and call it in just in case. He said cool. But then him and his friends were gone within 10 seconds. Even though before they were just hanging out. My brother knew what the guy looked like that owned the truck but we never could find him and when we got back down his truck was gone.

Can I give both license plates to an officer and you could contact the owner and find out if tools were actually stolen and then go after the thieves or am I just dreaming and nothing can be done? Thanks for any help.

Thieves should burn.

Cascadia

Undecided
We honestly thought we would see the guy on the trail. My brother said he was walking pretty slow. He must've walked down to the river or something when we passed. Also thought the guys would maybe come back and remove it maybe. Don't know why people would return to the scene but they're obviously idiots already.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
If the truck guy was careless enough to leve the tools exposed in the back he was probably careless enough not to check if they were there when he got back unless a big ass ladder was missing too. He might not realize they are missing til he's on site ready for the next job.

ID Bronco

Call the cops now and tell them the story. They will steer you in the right direction. Good job confronting him but sucks the cops couldn't have been there.

Tonkaman

I had tools stolen from out of a work truck once. A good samaritan watched and followed the thief straight to a pawn shop. Once confronted the thief took off with my tools and the good samaritan reported the guys license plates description everything. It still took 4 months for the cops to have enough reason to search the guys car and guess what was still in the back seat....

It's always good to know people are looking out for each other, good job doing the right thing

Cascadia

Undecided
Call the cops or post on RME; whichever you feel will serve the public best.
I didn't post on rme for fun. I knew there were a lot of leo's on here but no one spoke up. I called it in and all they said was they'd look into it. I know what that means cause i had a truck stolen and never heard back again and when I'd call for an update no one could find my case, even though i had a number. That's why I was hoping to find someone on here who cares. But guess it didn't matter.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I guess i'm usually the one to chime inn and I've been out of town.

You did the right thing, all you can do is call the local department and pass on the info. What happens with that info depends on the department. You also don't have a crime as far as the law is concerned unless you have a willing victim.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I think he means that unless the owner of the truck willingly acknowledges a theft has taken place then there is no victim/crime.

Yeah sorry that was kinda vague, I kept trying to answer this and kept getting dispatched so my train of thought was distracted. If you have no victim you have no crime, they may have bad or no contact info for the victim. And for 99% of crime if you don't have a victim you don't have a crime, certain crimes even if the victim is unwilling the state will become the victim. Property crimes is not one of those instances

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yeah sorry that was kinda vague, I kept trying to answer this and kept getting dispatched so my train of thought was distracted. If you have no victim you have no crime, they may have bad or no contact info for the victim. And for 99% of crime if you don't have a victim you don't have a crime, certain crimes even if the victim is unwilling the state will become the victim. Property crimes is not one of those instances

I know it's off-topic but there's a lot of "crimes" that seem to be victimless that gets convictions. So is there an actual distinction between different types of crimes such as personal property and things you put in your body? Just curious. :D