need help with window, for the house

blznnp

So I am sitting in the basement watching a movie and all of a sudden I hear right behind me something big hit a window and the noise of a shattering window. My boys thought it was a good idea to roll a rock down a piece of plywood they had put into the window well. So my question is, can I just replace the glass? there was a plastic trim piece that went around the whole outside of the window that just slid out. the window is not a tight fit into the frame and looks like it is just glued in. I have never dealt with windows before so any help is appreciated. The windows are just basic builders model, nothing fancy. Also if anyone has any recommendations for a window company that would be appreciated to.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We had one pane in one of our windows randomly crack and yes, it's just a take old one out and put new one in situation. My father-in-law is a builder so he has lots of good contacts and had a guy come fix it for us. I'll see if I can find the name

If you're handy at all you can replace it yourself. The two panes of glass come sealed together in what's called an IG unit. Just take the width and height measurement of the glass that you can see after you pull out the vinyl glass stop pieces. You also need to know the over all thickness of the IG unit which is usually 3/4" in most cases. This is the measurement of the thickness of the two panes of glass....outside of the outside piece of glass to inside of the inside piece of glass. Just give these measurements to any glass shop and they can make you up an IG unit. If it's a basement window then it's most likely just clear glass...or a standard Low-E. The glass is usually just held in the frames with a double sided foam tape. You can find that at Home depot. Just cut out the glass and tape in a new piece. Snap in the vinyl stops and you're done. Let me know if you have any questions.

blznnp

let me know nate.

crimsonride, thanks, I can easily do that. I wasn't sure how the inside was held in but it does look like some type of foam, I will have to go out and take a couple more measurements.

R

rockdog

I have two that the outside pane is cracked. I've taken out the outside strips but dayum mine are glued in there tight! How do you get um out without busting everything Crimson?

blznnp

I have two that the outside pane is cracked. I've taken out the outside strips but dayum mine are glued in there tight! How do you get um out without busting everything Crimson?
Should be able to take a knife from the inside an go all around and cut the double sided foam so the window can come out

RockChucker

My dad works for Amsco windows and does repairs like this on the side. It usually takes him less than 30 mins. You can just replace the glass. He will need the measurements of the glass. It would probably be best for him to come measure it and then order the glass. Call him if you're interested. I pm'd you his phone number.

Rockdog... are your windows aluminum or vinyl? I would guess aluminum if they're glued in tight like you say. Those old windows are glued in the a butyl adhesive. Heat helps. Also use a thin putty knife and those snap off style knifes. The best ones to use are a brand called "Olfa". You can get them at Lowes. If they're vinyl with the foam tape you can usually cut them out in about 30 seconds.

Just a word of caution. Always cut toward yourself using either your shoulder or wrist to pull the blade (straight arms)... not your elbow. Sounds wrong but trust me if you are cutting away from yourself you can break the blade and put your arm into it or put your arm in the glass. If you pull toward yourself with your wrist or shoulder and the blade slips your whole body will move with the blade rather than when you use your elbow then the blade will travel towards your body. it's really not dangerous if you follow those guidelines.

....if neither of those options are working then you can take one of those multi-tools.... the ones that just vibrate the saw blade slightly. Get one of the plunge cut blades and hold a file to the sides of it. Then use that to cut the glue holding the glass in place. It takes a little work but eventually you'll get it.

R

rockdog

Rockdog... are your windows aluminum or vinyl? I would guess aluminum if they're glued in tight like you say. Those old windows are glued in the a butyl adhesive. Heat helps. Also use a thin putty knife and those snap off style knifes. The best ones to use are a brand called "Olfa". You can get them at Lowes. If they're vinyl with the foam tape you can usually cut them out in about 30 seconds.

Just a word of caution. Always cut toward yourself using either your shoulder or wrist to pull the blade (straight arms)... not your elbow. Sounds wrong but trust me if you are cutting away from yourself you can break the blade and put your arm into it or put your arm in the glass. If you pull toward yourself with your wrist or shoulder and the blade slips your whole body will move with the blade rather than when you use your elbow then the blade will travel towards your body. it's really not dangerous if you follow those guidelines.

....if neither of those options are working then you can take one of those multi-tools.... the ones that just vibrate the saw blade slightly. Get one of the plunge cut blades and hold a file to the sides of it. Then use that to cut the glue holding the glass in place. It takes a little work but eventually you'll get it.
No, they are vinyl. They are Amsco windows. About 12 years old. I'll give the things you suggested a try when it gets a little warmer.