need softer leaf springs

toyman

I have an Fj40 with 4 inch Downey springs on it, and man is it stiff. I have had them for about 6 months and they havent softened up on the road. They dont flex alot either. I was wondering if I were to remove one of the leaves and or replace it with a stock leaf, which one would be the best to take out or swap, and would it do anything, minus loosing some height. Any info would be helpful. I also am running RS5000's. - Eric

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think the general concensus about Downay leafs is that they aren't really geared towards flex. Sorry to say it! :( I think that there was talk about some Old Man Emu FJ leafs going up for sale?!

What are your thoughts on a SOA?

toyman

I have thought about SO on it, but would like to keep the center of gravity a little lower. Who knows, I may end up doing it. Thanks.

SnwMnkys

What about undoing the aligning clamps? Or you could try those teflon strips you put in between the leafs. I dont know where you can buy them though, ive only seen people talk about them.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
well if you do a SPOA on stock springs, you will only net about 5 to 6 inches of lift. the upside is you get the plush ride of those good old FJ springs just watch out for the saggy ass rear springs!! there is nothing sorrier than a saggy ass 4x4 like an old FJ or Blazer!! :D :D

MattL

I have heard that if you have over tightened the spring bolts that go through the shackle and on to the frame that can cause some no flexage. just a thought to make sure you have then correctly torque. They really dont need to have 1000,000 foot pounds of torque on them. for flexing do you have the spriing clamps on them? if you remove them that might help with some flexage as well.