Need some moab advice. And Ouray, if anyone is familiar.

jeffha4

So I’m planning a trip in about a month. My wife is a teacher, so she’ll be out of school at the beginning of june. So the following week I want to do a circuit from SLC down to Moab, to Telluride and Ouray, then to Denver and back home.

I’m thinking two nights in Moab, camping. Two nights in Ouray in a hotel or something. Then two nights in Denver with family.

So my thoughts in moab, first day after the SLC drive, run a trail. Next day run a trail or two, and then maybe some hiking and wandering. I have the Charles Wells book, so I’ll need to choose some dirt to roll along. I’m thinking maybe metal masher as at least one of the runs.

Drive from Moab to Telluride, cross Imogene Pass into Ouray. Next day run a couple trails, I’m thinking black bear pass, and I dunno what else yet. Stay the second night, then make our way up to Denver.

The next day in Denver I’d like to run out to Red Cone Pass. Spend the evening and rest of the time with my family. Next day make our way back home.
Going to come back through Wyoming: Laramie and Rock Springs.

My rig is a 2007 Range Rover Sport. It’s stock except 32” A/Ts, and a 1.75” lift (optional, I can install the rods in under 10 minutes at the trailhead). A trail I run regularly is Old Ward, with no problems. So I’d be fine doing something as challenging or a bit more so than that. I just don’t want to be destroying body panels. There’s a chance I may fab some sliders before the trip though, so that could add to the abuse the rover can take.

So with all of that knowledge, are there any trails or anything you think would fit really well? I don’t know Ouray at all. I’ve been to Moab quite a few times as a kid and teen. But it’s been about ten years since I’ve been down there. I really just want to get the experience of all the locations, I’m not necessarily looking for anything super technical. However, if I get into anything I can’t handle, I do have quite a bit of recovery gear to extract myself.

Also, any suggested camp grounds in Moab I should aim for? I don’t really need any amenities at all, just a flat place to put a tent.

Anywhere I should stop on the route?

Thanks for everything, you guys. I appreciate any input you may have.

jeffha4

Just looked at the FS site, apparently the road doesn't open until July, so I guess I'll have to plan on waiting a few extra weeks. I'm assuming any of the seasonal roads up in the Ouray area will be at least July opening. Correct me if I'm wrong.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Just looked at the FS site, apparently the road doesn't open until July, so I guess I'll have to plan on waiting a few extra weeks. I'm assuming any of the seasonal roads up in the Ouray area will be at least July opening. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You beat me to it, you will be lucky if the passes are open before end of July, we got a lot of late season snow this year that will keep things blocked for awhile.

jeffha4

You beat me to it, you will be lucky if the passes are open before end of July, we got a lot of late season snow this year that will keep things blocked for awhile.
Maybe I'll plan on August then. It can serve as a birthday celebration for myself! I have other trips I'd like to take this summer, I'm sure there's one I can do in June with no problems.

Tonkaman

I don't know those areas well but they have definitely peaked my interest before. This trip looks like an amazing loop! I admire a man that is willing to explore the dirt in his range rover