NEVER EVER BUY FROM DDM TUNING!

Tonkaman

Dont get me wrong I knew DDM Tuning had a bad reputation for poor quality HID kits but never guessed it would be this bad! Over the last couple years I have had to replace 4 bad ballasts and 4 bulbs due to sudden unexplained death. My most recent disapointment from them was 5 bad relays that came in separate 'relay kits'. To make the problem solving even more difficult all of these relays tested good by clicking but the contacts inside were just no good. One I figured out I had a bad batch of relays bought some from the local auto store and everything is fixed for now. Curiosity was getting to me so I decided to pull apart an old ballast and see why these things go bad so often. I hoped it was just a broken solder inside and could put it back into use, but what I found was shocking...

This is the ballast

This is the ballast with the cover pulled off one side. Notice that there is sand inside where it should be sealed up.

Imagine my suprise when I pulled back the rubber waterproofing and find a whole cup of sand and rocks!

This is after I dumped out all the loose sand. There are rocks in there so big there is no way possible they could have gotten in even with faulty weatherproofing.

Thank you DDM for the excellent products that are rigged to fail from the factory...

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I've bought from them in the past, never again. You get what you pay for and HID conversions just aren't worth it to begin with.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
He has aftermarket HID specific housings.... they actually have a nice sharp line I noticed.

That's good, not the typical crowd DDM tuning attracts though, I actually thought I should have said something about an HID specific housing after I wrote that.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have like 4 ballasts sitting on my shelf if you need a replacement your welcome to have anything you will use for free. Two are high low and two are single beam/

Tonkaman

That's good, not the typical crowd DDM tuning attracts though, I actually thought I should have said something about an HID specific housing after I wrote that.

I absolutely agree with what your saying. The projector style lens really creates a new pattern that works great with HIDs. They also have adjustable blinders inside to ensure a safe pattern

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I've bought a couple kits from them, so far they are fine HOWEVER... I've bought probably 100+ kits from VVME. Every one have worked great.
I bought from DDM because I was worried about dealing with the Can Bus in my Audi.

Looking at the kits I'll not be buying from DDM again.

sent via morse code

R

rockdog

This thread really caught my attention. I have DDM lights in my 01 superduty. I have also went through a couple of ballasts. I have been concerned about glare for oncoming cars and have been a little disappointed with the shadows in the light pattern. I am new to hid's so I didn't realize they were designed to be run in projectors. So I started researching and found that there is a whole society of projector retro-fitters out there. I found my way to the retrofit source and ordered projectors for my truck. These things look like they will work way better. The DDM kit sucked the bulbs in and out for bright and dim. It has never worked very good no matter what I tried. We'll see how the projectors work out.
I also tore apart some of the failed ballasts I had from DDM. Not a drop of sand or rocks inside.

airmanwilliams

I have gone through 3 relay setups myself, next time im up in bountiful I am pulling my ballasts and taking a look inside. In another couple weeks I am going to be ordering some 25W 1800 Lumen headlight bulbs and ballasts from my led supplier for my sidekick.