Never trust a Toyota guy...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Ok so that was a clickbait title and for the record I'm joking.

I've known Steve for years and while he is... persnickety, shall we say, I've always liked him. I know that there is WAY more to the story than what is in that article, but it's a shame that it's come to this for his business. I hope that he can get it resolved and put his life back together.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've known Steve for years and while he is... persnickety, shall we say, I've always liked him. I know that there is WAY more to the story than what is in that article, but it's a shame that it's come to this for his business. I hope that he can get it resolved and put his life back together.
I don’t know him but apparently we’re FB friends lol
I know better than to trust anybody that runs a dealership. That’s from experience. Bummer the dude took money from them and lost it or something 🤷🏼‍♂️

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I was a bit sad when I saw that story. I've always liked Steve.. and I am sure there is a bit more than meets the eye here.. but obviously something is not right on Steve's side. :(

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Big thread on ih8mud going back a year or so with people frustrated with Steve. Looks like there were some extremely tragic things happen in their family that knocked him offline for a good while. People that were finally able to get ahold of him report that he is working in good faith to get them taken care of, and does an excellent job, but unfortunately it seems his way of coping with everything is just to ghost people for months on end. Which understandably makes people upset, especially when they paid up front. But it doesn’t look like fraud as much as an inability to manage his business/communication during a family tragedy.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Big thread on ih8mud going back a year or so with people frustrated with Steve. Looks like there were some extremely tragic things happen in their family that knocked him offline for a good while. People that were finally able to get ahold of him report that he is working in good faith to get them taken care of, and does an excellent job, but unfortunately it seems his way of coping with everything is just to ghost people for months on end. Which understandably makes people upset, especially when they paid up front. But it doesn’t look like fraud as much as an inability to manage his business/communication during a family tragedy.

That sucks to hear, didn't know about the family issues.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I was on IH8MUD today and the Land Cruisers Direct thread showed up in the "New Posts", looks like Steve's troubles are continuing:

img_7898-jpeg.3291421

img_7755-png.3291422

Not knowing all the details, I can't comment on what he's done or hasn't done; but it sucks to see an old friend hitting hard times. Again, hopefully he can straighten everything out for his and his families sake.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Steve is a friend. I 100% believe he was not malicious with his actions. His circumstances are difficult and I wish him the best. Sad how fast things can spiral out of control.

The Steve I know isn't a thief. He is abrasive to many he diagrees with or that disagree with him, but a good guy at heart.

We all make mistakes and sometimes they spiral into more and more mistakes. When they catch up to us we have to answer to them.

Super sad situation.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have never met him. I did have some interactions with him on here and talking on the phone because of my involvement in USA-All at the time and his falling out with USA-All previous to me becoming a board member. I heard his side of the story as well as the people who were there when I got involved. To me he obviously had an axe to grind beyond what may have went down when there was a split in the leadership of the organization. I know of some things he did out of spite to try and torpedo the organization, but we continued to work on land issues, until 2009 when the housing crash happened and the support of donations virtually disappeared. I have always taken the approach that there are 3 sides to any dispute........my side, your side and the truth that falls somewhere in-between. I respected Steve's opinion of what happened, but did not respect his victim attitude about it. I went to IH8MUD and read the thread on there and things within that thread that echo some of the things I heard back in 2006 in regards to Steve.

It appears the posts by his wife were deleted out of the IH8MUD thread, so I cannot see what she posted about their personal problems, but my gut tells me from my personal interactions in the past is that I have doubts about what may have been posted by her or if it was even her posting them.

Just my .02 and my own opinion

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a strong possibility with him. I would encourage those of you who consider Steve a friend to look up the signs for that. I’m not trying to call him name or belittle him, I’m trying to help others understand what might motivate a person with that condition.
That is probably a good observation. My sales manager has a little bit of narcissism that has caused me some friction with other employee's over the years. His is the chauvinistic form of narcissism. I have had reign it in on several occasions and learned quickly that when he is held accountable for it, he gets better for awhile until I have to have talk about something again.......its all part of managing monkeys.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That is probably a good observation. My sales manager has a little bit of narcissism that has caused me some friction with other employee's over the years. His is the chauvinistic form of narcissism. I have had reign it in on several occasions and learned quickly that when he is held accountable for it, he gets better for awhile until I have to have talk about something again.......its all part of managing monkeys.
Yes. Establishing boundaries and accountability are huge issues for the Narcissist.