New and improved New Member night run - March 11th (Updated)

sixstringsteve

the last thread got too cluttered, so I started a new one. Let's keep it on topic.

This trip is on March 11th

Purpose:
This is a purpose-driven trail run. The purpose of this trip is to introduce new members to the sport of 4-wheeling. They'll get to meet more experienced RME members and learn some techniques to help them stay safe and legal on our trails. This night's focus is on the new members so let's try and focus on them and help them have a good time. We'll have to fight our selfish urges to just run the hard trails and leave them in the dust, but I'm confident we can do it

Who
Everyone is welcome, new members, friends, family, and veterans RME'ers, but the focus will be on the people who have never been wheeling. Even if you're not an RME member you're welcome to attend.

Vehicle requiremets
- 4 wheel drive
- no other requirements
Any stock 4x4 will do fine on this trail. Since the focus is on new members who most likely don't have a lift or lockers, we'll be sticking to the easy fire road that takes us from the snakes parking lot up to the mine tailings. This is not a hardcore trail. It is a perfect trail for the stock vehicle. Expect zero body damage unless you're trying to get it. It's a great way to meet new RME members and learn some of the basics of wheeling. Any stock 4wd vehicle (even a subaru) can complete this trail when it's dry. If it's snowy, then some parts may be a challenge.

Meeting times & Locations Link to map

Group A at 6:30 PM at Cabella's Parking lot --> south end by the boats outside link to group A meeting location

Group B at 7:00 PM at the Chevron at 4-corners at Saratoga Springs (corner of redwood road and lehi main) link to group B meeting location

Group C at 7:45 PM at the snakes parking lot link to group C meeting location

Pick the most convenient group to meet with, and we'll pick you up.

Schedule:
Group A meets at cablellas at 6:30 PM. Then at 6:45 we drive over to the Chevron to meet up with Group B at 7:00 PM. Leave the chevron at 7:15 to meet up with group C. Arrive at the snakes (rattlesnake/constrictor) parking lot (location C) at 7:45-8:00 PM. Air down and begin the run at 8:00 PM

This trail run has 2 parts:

Part 1 - any stock 4x4 can make this trail with no body damage.
we'll take the fire road that meets up with the end of rattlesnake (where all the mine tailings are). We'll practice ascending and decending the tailings, explore a little, then head over to the second set of mine tailings and mess around there for a bit and explore the mine shafts and see the jeep that fell down the shaft. Then we'll head back to the parking area.

Those that need to get home can head back home from here. Those that want more adventure can go on to part 2.

Part 2 - ride along with an experienced RME member.
Ride-along the rattlesnake trail. Noobs will not be driving this trail in an interest of time. This is an opportunity for the new members to see what rock crawling is all about and to see some rigs in action. The noobs (and anyone else who desires) will be invited to ride along in the vehicle of an experienced driver. We'll run rattlesnake quick. I anticipate taking about 20-30 min to get through the trail, and 10-15 min to get back to the parking lot. The purpose of Part 2 is to help people see what wheeling is all about. Since it's at night, I don't want to try and drag 10 stock rigs or new drivers through the trail with potential breakages and stuck vehicles. We'll save that for the next noob run when we run the rattlesnake trail in the daytime in March/April.

If you're planning on attending, please post here and let us know what vehicle you'll be bringing. If you're available to drive for Part 2, and you've completed rattlesnake in the past, post up how many spare seats you'll have.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here's the count so far.

Trail Leaders (parts 1 and 2)

sixstringsteve
jjamesyj
cherokeester
Turbominivan
Ricsrx

Part 1
Drivers

sixstringsteve - sidekick on 33s
chocoflip
johnnyquest w/GF - lifted WJ or stock TJ
nrspence - newer tacoma w/locker
ricsrx - '83 yota on 33s
turbominivan - TJ
marc (turbo's friend) - TJ
AWZ - 4runner on 31s
193kyle - taco on 33s
Hiro - 4runner on 33s
Tacoman10 - tacoma
Manlaan
StormRider - TJ on 35s
Saintless - stock JK unlimited
LocalRich - F250 or pink race car
95BlockCrawler - cherokee
Clayne_b - ZJ
wrangler - XJ w/32s
THSDragoon - stock trooper
Itsa4door - sami on 32s
Yellow89YJ
OrvisKrawler - ZJ on 33s?
ozzy702
capt scotty
cherokeester
cascadia
Commander Riker
Silver Devil
LRE96Disco
DDXJ
jjamesyj
BSalty
DSM Racing (Chad)
jinxspot
abhaulr1
SLC97SR5
wrangler
ColoRam

Part 2
Drivers
sixstringsteve - sidekick on 33s, 3 open seats
nrspence - 1 open seat
ricsrx
turbominivan - TJ
193kyle - taco on 33s
Manlaan
StormRider - Tj on 35s
OrvisKrawler - ZJ on 33s?
AWZ
ozzy702
capt scotty
cherokeester
cascadia
Silver Devil
Clayne_b
DDXJ
jjamesyj
jinxspot
abhaulr1
SLC97SR5
ColoRam

Riders
chocoflip
johnnyquest + GF
hiro
Tacoman10
Saintless
LocalRich
95BlockCrawler
wrangler - XJ w/32s
THSDragoon
Itsa4door - sami on 32s
Yellow89YJ
commander riker
LRE96Disco
DSM Racong (CHad)

Maybes
jdub
gijohn40 + GF (both have rigs for parts 1+2)
ozzy702
jmaxj
tomtom's90 - 1+2
Cody
Bart & daughter - 1+2 TJ
cruiseroutfitters
tacoma
Sired91
jmaxj

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Sorry steve cant go im moving into a new house this weekend and im so busy with 5 million other things hope everyone has fun

01XJ

Its not a 100% we will be there this is the wifes only weekend night she has had off in 2 months and she only gets Friday this schedule which is the night of this run and she wants to do something besides "wheeling":rofl: But if we do come we will be in a 2000 durango 2.5" lift with 32's and rear locker. I hope to make it out and meet some new faces:)

STAG

On my grind
Is this the same date as the other run? I see times but no date. I'll take my Dmax on 35's on part 1 (as my jeep's not done :( ) and if there is an empty seat I'll ride along on part 2, if not it's no big deal, I have ran the snakes a lot before. I'm mostly just goin as to meet new people.

sixstringsteve

friday night is date night for me, so I'll bring my wife along. I know she likes it when there are other women there too. she'll probably be driving.

nrspence

Im still in for the run. Five mile is a good choice. I do not think ill have a passenger, so i should have an open seat for Part 2. This will be the virgin run on rattlesnake in the new tacoma.

Last edited:

Manlaan

Right now, I'm sitting at about 50% chance I'll be able to make it. I've never done anything with RME before and have never done Rattlesnake (been meaning to, but trying to lead a group of others on something I haven't done is a bit tricky).

Unless I pick up a new vehicle, I'll be bringing my 02 Tacoma on 32's, Rear locker, Sliders, Winch, etc.

I've done a few things in Moab and AF, but since it'll be dark and my first time on RS, I think I might take a passenger seat. I dont want to slow the run down.

sixstringsteve

if it's totally dry, then I don't see a problem with you doing snakes with us manlaan. If it's muddy or snowy, you'll probably want to do it in the daytime just to be safe.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Count me in. I'll be driving my '98 TJ with its pegleg diffs, 31" tires (plus my budget boost will be installed by then), and some armor. Based on past experience, I should have no trouble running Rattlesnake, so I'll probably stick around for that run. Don't know if I'll have any seats available because...

... my friend Marc will also be attending. He has a stone stock '98 TJ automatic on 30" tires and no body armor. Because of this, I highly doubt he'll try Rattlesnake. I expect he'll ride along with me.

Looking forward to meeting people.

Last edited:

Awz

Om Nom Nom Nom smack
I'm still in.
88 4runner on 31's rear locker and body armor (and finally replaced rear springs from jeep safari last year). Have only run rattlesnake once and it was a year ago, so probably won't be going on part 2, just because of familiarity.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Unless I pick up a new vehicle, I'll be bringing my 02 Tacoma on 32's, Rear locker, Sliders, Winch, etc.

You'll be fine regardless of weather. Have taken guys up it in stock toy's with no lockers many times. Really is just a bumpy road with some rocks along the way.

Go have fun, worse that will happen is you get to use your winch.

kulangflow

I'm in. Newb with a stock 91 Nissan HB on 31" tires. I'll drive Part 1, but might need to steal a passenger seat for Part 2.

I might run that trail a couple times between now and then in the daytime. If so, then I will probably drive Part 2.

sixstringsteve

I'm in. Newb with a stock 91 Nissan HB on 31" tires. I'll drive Part 1, but might need to steal a passenger seat for Part 2.

I might run that trail a couple times between now and then in the daytime. If so, then I will probably drive Part 2.

Welcome! I'm glad you'll be able to make it with us. It'll be a good time for sure. Hopefully the trail is dry, but we'll make the most of it either way.

sixstringsteve

this is a great opportunity to teach your kids, spouse, friends how to drive too... They don't have to be RME members.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll try to be there. I'll be in a 1st gen 4Runner on 33's. Might be me and the g/f that night, I think we'll ride along with someone for part 2.