Official New feature, Topic of Discussion! Add your subject ideas!

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
topic: Would like to hear about ways to choose the right line and other driving techniques.

Techniques in going uphill, downhill, across the slope etc.

really like this one also. I was watching some vid of a group of you guys on an obsticle on chainsaw. A blow by blow analysis from you experts on the various vehicles as they worked that obsticle would be very usefull to gumbies like me. Analysis of balance point/balance shift points, traction lines, weaknesses/strengths in both equipment and driver that make or break it etc.

TooRisky

The most common problem on the trail is broken beads and flats....It would be nice to have a step by step guide on how to fix, tips and tricks, and the equiptment needed to pull, fix and replace the rubber to get you back on the trail...Gear this for the new trail driver, though we all could use some neat tricks and be indepth as far as what, how, why, and safety.

I am no tire guy and dreed the day my spare goes south on me, here in the NW it is a common event and we usualy have broken beads, but what if you have two tires with holes in them...this is what I want adderessed, trail fixing a hole in the tire.

Last edited:

Bobzilla

DIY Beadlock kits, welding techniques, stick vs tig vs mig, reason being I just went thru this and there were issues when using mig that I believe I would not have had using a tig welder, how to weld those kits without air leaks right the 1st time.

Caleb

DIY Beadlock kits, welding techniques, stick vs tig vs mig, reason being I just went thru this and there were issues when using mig that I believe I would not have had using a tig welder, how to weld those kits without air leaks right the 1st time.

There's actually a really good article on this already:

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?12027-DIY-Beadlock-tech

I'm curious what issues you had using a mig that you feel would be avoided using a tig?

Bobzilla

I think due to the rings I ordered which fit inside the rim edge, there were little or no gaps around the rings so there was little penetration on the welds, instructions say to grind the welds flat on the rings after welding, I did that and checked for leaks, all 5 leaked, I had quite a few pin holes.

The rings I ordered should be welded with a tig or be machined smaller to give a gap between the ring and the rim edge, my rings were pretty much flush, they fit tight into the rims.

I ground & re-welded all 5 with an uphill pass and they were all fine, I had put a 4x4 under each and welded uphill the 2nd time for better penetration.