New garage shop construction (p2) - Steel ceiling / walls or drywall?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So, to start off, I follow RR Buildings on Youtube (and instagram) and they are a bad influence. Super cool postframe buildings though. Ever since I've been watching over the last year I've realized how practical and good looking some exterior style walls look on the interior and it has me thinking...

Any of you done exterior stuff on the inside? The one that got me really thinking was this photo of the steel ceiling panels:

IMG_0520.jpeg

My biggest concern is cost and sound. Seems like it might make it louder inside the shop...? But maybe not?

I've also been looking at some composite panels for the walls instead of doing drywall, but the cost of that turns me away pretty quick.

What do you all think?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's probably fire and water resistant. Could be cool to pressure wash stuff inside in the winter like sleds if you had a drain.
Is the price point less than drywall?
But probably not awesome for hanging stuff on walls or brushing against the self tapper heads with a shoulder or knee.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Never done it but I've done plenty of metal roof paneling, I'd pick something other than the r-panel style if I were doing it. My sister did some silver corragated roofing on parts of her place and it looks good.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I’d be more worried about it sweating in the winter if you pull a wet car in there. Why not just Sheetrock? It’s cheap and simple to install and finish.

shortstraw8

With full metal siding I think it will be an echo chamber. Maybe like a wainscot style lower 1/3rd in the metal siding for ease of cleaning and more moister resistant, and the top 2/3rds sheetrock/rocklike material?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Chances are I'm going to end up with drywall, but I wanted to reach out here and see if anybody had experience with these alternatives.

With full metal siding I think it will be an echo chamber. Maybe like a wainscot style lower 1/3rd in the metal siding for ease of cleaning and more moister resistant, and the top 2/3rds sheetrock/rocklike material?
I agree - seems like it would amplify noises a lot, think of grinding or cut off saw in a fully metal interior!

I do like the wainscot idea a lot...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It would be nice to have metal behind the work bench but I don’t think it’s worth doing the whole interior for that. I’d just do a sheet of it like Carlos has in his shop.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have the lower 8' of my walls covered with galv. external panels. 16' walls, and plenty of other stuff in the shop to deaden sound. It's not louder now than it was before the walls went up. I would 100% do it again.

UT410

Supporting Member
Metal is great. It's easy to clean either with a swiffer or an air nozzle and it'll look brand new again.

It's a pretty common practice in shops these days. It's easy to hang and once it's hung that's it. It's done forever.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I did a lower portion of wall with galvanized steel, sheetrock on top. It's fine.. but lost it's cool factor pretty quick. it's a clean look, but more difficult to add shelves/hooks/ect. Also made it difficult to get switches installed well.

Then I did all sheetrock in another garage. It gets punctures and holes too easy.

If I were doing it again, I'd go wood sheeting for all of it, painted.

N8RB8R

I am in the process of finishing up my shop and plan to use left over exterior sheeting to line the bottom 8’ of walls similar to Bryson. I was more worried about protecting the insulation inside against grinding and welding and have enough left over steel to do so.

Attachments

• 07632AC6-5A14-4003-9E40-E17A16943379.jpeg
    07632AC6-5A14-4003-9E40-E17A16943379.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 37

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Getting close to ordering and installing all the insulation now that I'm 98% done with the electrical, and so I'm getting more serious about this topic. I've learned that there are actually vinyl wall and ceiling panels that imitate the metal for interior... I think for certain I'm going to do the ceiling this route but I'm still not sold on doing the walls.

I suppose I will most likely end up doing whatever I can get my hands on at a decent cost. I may do OSB on the walls... I looked inside a huge shop nearby that did OSB and painted it. You couldn't really tell and I love the idea of being able to mount almost anything direct to wall ignoring studs (unless it's heavy)

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I'm about 6 months behind you, assuming Beehive stays on schedule building my shop. I will be doing the electrical after the building is up; I am only having them insulate the roof since I'll do the walls after electrical. They are still a couple months out

I will be watching closely what you decide to go with; I've been thinking similar thoughts to you regarding OSB. I think I'll look for some cheap scaffolding on KSL to help do the electrical, insulation and wall coverings.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm about 6 months behind you, assuming Beehive stays on schedule building my shop. I will be doing the electrical after the building is up; I am only having them insulate the roof since I'll do the walls after electrical. They are still a couple months out

I will be watching closely what you decide to go with; I've been thinking similar thoughts to you regarding OSB. I think I'll look for some cheap scaffolding on KSL to help do the electrical, insulation and wall coverings.
That's awesome. I would just have some insulation blown in after doing some sort of ceiling, but the p/o who built the shop had the rafters engineered for a loft area... so I'm trying to wrap my head around how to insulate that properly. I think I'll just be doing some 24" bats between the lower rafters which looks like it's gonna cost a ton... ugh. But I do love the idea of keeping that loft usable.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
One addition to our plans is for a loft/mezzanine area that will be over the work bench area. It will be 8ft wide, so not overly obtrusive, but provide lots of storage. I am keeping the ceiling height at 16ft.

Tonkaman

I did my walls look in OSB. I used an oil based primer so that the wood flakes wouldn’t absorb any moisture and flake. That also had the effect of filling in the voids making it look very smooth. I even caulked in all the seams for a super clean look.

Also I added metal backing in my walls every 2’. This stuff is super cheap and can be had at any commercial framing store.

876D337A-A3A6-4C6E-A260-97D3D64A02A7.jpeg26EFAA04-CC3D-4BC0-A7F0-CEDEA0A01CFE.jpegE730DDAF-A323-45FE-9EE7-B2F33B71D84F.jpeg