New offroad toy

Badbuggy

rock star
Over the years I have bought, sold, or built from parts of several of these. One came up on craigs list, very locally, and I couldn't resist. Now I am the proud owner. The question now is what to do with it. It has been sitting for the last 7 years, after it ran out of gas out in a pasture. I think it will run, and only had 39,000 miles on it. What is it? you ask. A 1952 GMC army duece and a half. 11,000 pounds of pure goverment issue steel. 6:17 gears with a 302 straight 6 and an auto tranny. 50 mph top end, 6 wheel drive, 24 volt system, and built to last and to be unstoppable.

25ton.jpg

Bart

Fun build project. I'd be looking for a 12V Cummins and 6 speed tranny to go in it, then kind of a motor home/tow rig thing.

Chevycrew

As long as you keep the transfer case to go with the axles there isnt much you cant do with that...

Sweet rig! I love green iron...

Even a flat bed buggy hauler to tow a travel trailer with would be cool.

That is bad ass Jeff! I love it! :chris:

PS. Since it says "Irvin's Trencher" on it, Chris says you should give it to us and he'll just change his name to Irvin. :tara:

Last edited:

Badbuggy

rock star
As long as you keep the transfer case to go with the axles there isnt much you cant do with that...

Sweet rig! I love green iron...

Even a flat bed buggy hauler to tow a travel trailer with would be cool.

The T case is 1:1.16 is it something special?

That is bad ass Jeff! I love it! :chris:

PS. Since it says "Irvin's Trencher" on it, Chris says you should give it to us and he'll just change his name to Irvin. :tara:

I am going to keep that on the door, so witnesses will think Irvin did it. :D

Chevycrew

yeah those era military axles had the front that rotates backwards from normal, the t-case compensates for this. It has identical 3rd members front and rear, but the front is hi-pinion.

I have a spare front axle here if anyone wants it...

Badbuggy

rock star
yeah those era military axles had the front that rotates backwards from normal, the t-case compensates for this. It has identical 3rd members front and rear, but the front is hi-pinion.

I have a spare front axle here if anyone wants it...

Wow, a rear steer option. That would be cool. Seems like the 3rd members can be put in from the front or the back, and the axles can be turned over as well. Lots of combos there.

Chevycrew

Yeah I have thought about running these axles in a buggy, both in high pinion orientation, then having a rear facing engine, which would drive everything in the correct direction...

ok i got pics i hope first 2 are what i ahve third is what it will be

Attachments

• m35a23.jpg
    m35a23.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 12
  • m35a24.jpg
    m35a24.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 7bd6_1.jpg
    7bd6_1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 21
Yours IS a lot newer than mine, but the last one is something to aspire to for sure.
i think it will be easy to bob you can get the " bobberkit" out of wi he will sell ya the shackles for the new leafs and purches and leafs for 200 bucks then he has tires as well 50 in mills a set for 6 hundy slightly used then just shorten the bed three ft or so i would personaly take away from the front of the bed shorten the fram a touch not to big a deal but that is indeed what im doing with my duce and yeh it is newer it a 70 multie fuler turbo cool ass truck , it has welding ,air 110 ,ac power, ect it comes fully loaded lol
oh air brakes for trailor and when your done bobbing it you will have an extra 2.5 ton axel one more you got a new toy

Last edited:

Badbuggy

rock star
i think it will be easy to bob you can get the " bobberkit" out of wi he will sell ya the shackles for the new leafs and purches and leafs for 200 bucks then he has tires as well 50 in mills a set for 6 hundy slightly used then just shorten the bed three ft or so i would personaly take away from the front of the bed shorten the fram a touch not to big a deal but that is indeed what im doing with my duce and yeh it is newer it a 70 multie fuler turbo cool ass truck , it has welding ,air 110 ,ac power, ect it comes fully loaded lol
oh air brakes for trailor and when your done bobbing it you will have an extra 2.5 ton axel one more you got a new toy

Thanks for the great info, I'll be looking for a set of 52 inch michelins, but I don't build much from a "kit" :D I don't have a bed, but I have a pile of iron.

Thanks for the great info, I'll be looking for a set of 52 inch michelins, but I don't build much from a "kit" :D I don't have a bed, but I have a pile of iron.

AHHHH YES THE INFAMOUS PILE ! lol i have one of those i think i should have scrapped when metal was 250 a ton but oh well denver is long way down the hill . well you kinda need the kit cause it comes with a longer leaf spring and the shackles to mount it i mean easy is easy right ? but ill try to find the link for that guy and as far as a bed goes they are selling running duces with a bed for 1500 bucks get a doner truck ( parts truck) i think for 1500 bucks the three rock wells are worth that .
this is my second duce and im looking at one more

CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY DUCES I SAY!