New to me KTM 640e

sixb

Will work for beer!
Last August i bought my first bike ever and in September took a rider safety class and got my license. The bike is a 2000 model that had 1900 miles on it. It was wrecked early on and then sat for a very long time, till the guy i bought it from fixed it up and got it going again. So far i have replaced the tank with a 18 liter and new grips, the old ones kept sliding off while i had a death grip on the bars:D The bike has a serious amount of vibration above 50 mph which i'm told is normal. I bought some padded riding gloves and a vibratonator which i haven't installed yet, hoping they will help. I also bought a new set of tires since the old ones looked original and dry rotted. So far i have ridden about 300 miles around town and one trip up Butterfield canyon last fall.
My first real ride is gonna be out to Wendover via the pony express trail and back after a day or two of fun. So i'm kinda getting prepared for that and figuring out what all i'll need for the trip, clothing, tools and so on.
I'm already wanting a more road friendly bike, this one kinda sucks on the road after a while but is fine on short trips around town. I'll see how it does out to Wendover and go from there. Oh yeah i picked it up for 2500.00

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 34
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 38
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome! I'm excited for you David, that's a neat bike... much better than a KLR! ;) Good to see you've been putting the miles on it! Once it warms up, you'll be itching to get out and ride as often as you can! I'm sure it'll handle a Wendover ride without a hitch.

Those old LC4's are lovingly called 'paint shakers' for good reason! Solid bikes and I've heard it takes some time, but eventually you get used to the vibes.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Cool bike. It'll do pony express just fine.
The deep gravel out there is a little snakey at speed though.

Plan to bring 200 miles worth of gas.
Mine does 58mpg and with a 3.2 gal tank NEEDED more about at the Nevada border.
I've got a pony express on motod trip report on here.

Greg

Admin
Thanks!
I'm gonna bring some extra gas along since i'm not sure about the range.
Thinking of getting these for the trip and trips to come.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1003/-/229926/Moose-Racing-Expedition-Tail-Pack-Black
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/738/-/864657/RotopaX-Fuel-Pack-1.75-Gallon

I've done the duffel bag on the back of the bike... it puts the weight up high and makes difficult riding not-fun.. If you're open to other options, I'd highly suggest getting your gear as low as possible.... you'll appreciate it when the going gets rough.

A couple options are a Giant Loop bag (doesn't require a rack, good way to go) or a Wolfman rack & saddle bag setup. The Wolfman bags are awesome, but you'll pay more for them with the rack.

sixb

Will work for beer!
I've done the duffel bag on the back of the bike... it puts the weight up high and makes difficult riding not-fun.. If you're open to other options, I'd highly suggest getting your gear as low as possible.... you'll appreciate it when the going gets rough.

A couple options are a Giant Loop bag (doesn't require a rack, good way to go) or a Wolfman rack & saddle bag setup. The Wolfman bags are awesome, but you'll pay more for them with the rack.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, I would like to buy good gear that meets my needs once. I also want the gear to be easily removed and transferable to a different bike. I'm serious about wanting another bike that's more hwy friendly but plan to keep the ktm for more off road use.

The coyote bag is nice, along with a tank bag i should be set for most trips and i think the gas tank would work nicely with them. My only concern is the price as they are very expensive.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Nice!!

i was wondering if you ended up buying it. looks fun!

Yes indeed it's a blast. Is your bike street legal? We should go for a ride sometime. I considered going on that st George trip but after looking at the trip report pictures i'm glad i didn't. Way out of my skill level. haha. Sounds like ya'll had fun though.

Greg

Admin
I'm definitely open to suggestions, I would like to buy good gear that meets my needs once. I also want the gear to be easily removed and transferable to a different bike. I'm serious about wanting another bike that's more hwy friendly but plan to keep the ktm for more off road use.

The coyote bag is nice, along with a tank bag i should be set for most trips and i think the gas tank would work nicely with them. My only concern is the price as they are very expensive.

I hear ya on the price... I have a GL Coyote, but haven't used it yet. My KTM 690 came with a set of hard panniers and I haven't had a chance to make a another big ride with the Giant Loop. $280 seems to be the going price. They are easily transferable between bikes and adapt to most bikes with a few tugs of the mounting straps.

Tonkaman

I hear ya on the price... I have a GL Coyote, but haven't used it yet. My KTM 690 came with a set of hard panniers and I haven't had a chance to make a another big ride with the Giant Loop. $280 seems to be the going price. They are easily transferable between bikes and adapt to most bikes with a few tugs of the mounting straps.

Wow sweet product find. I think I'll get a set of coyote bags for our Moab to Tooele ride this summer

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Yes indeed it's a blast. Is your bike street legal? We should go for a ride sometime. I considered going on that st George trip but after looking at the trip report pictures i'm glad i didn't. Way out of my skill level. haha. Sounds like ya'll had fun though.

my bike is street legal.....ish.

no horn or blinkers but it has a plate. really not a road bike at all. pretty much ok between trails is all

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nice 640e :cool:

The LC4 is bomb proof and you scored finding one with the 50mm WP 'Extreme' forks. They were only available for a couple years and they're some of the best forks of all time.

Pretty jealous. I want a 640 Adventure reeeeeaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy bad :D

sixb

Will work for beer!
So i went with this pack due to it's size but this is probably the second time i have ever bought anything on eBay so well see.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151116469091
Also bought a 2002 R1150GS with 40k on the clock in great shape at the local dealer for 5k. It has a few extras but is missing one of the luggage packs. So the great basin will be used for both and i'll probably sell the bmw system case to recover some cost.
I also bought a 250.00 riding jacket and a battery tender, the ktm had already died from sitting. The jacket is nice and warm with 3 layers, my legs are the only cold thing now and need to get some riding pants soon.

Attachments

• WP_20140123_001.jpg
    WP_20140123_001.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 25
  • WP_20140128_001.jpg
    WP_20140128_001.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20140130_002.jpg
    WP_20140130_002.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 22
  • WP_20140130_003.jpg
    WP_20140130_003.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 23

Greg

Admin
Wow.... now I really do hate you!!

A GS would be very fun to own, I think you have 2 great Adventure bikes that cover the bases perfectly right there!

What brand is the pannier? It's quite possible you could find a used replacement for the missing one, if you know the brand.

sixb

Will work for beer!
The case is the BMW system case they call it that fits the 1100 and 1150's. The reading I've done says there not very desirable due to the plastic mounting and breakage, also the clam design gets a bad rap. I saw one on eBay but it was like 350 dollars. So i thought i might sell this one and see how i like the great basin setup. This bike came with new tires and they'll be perfect for the first big ride to visit my grandparents in Ruidoso New Mexico, about 780 miles one way.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Well skipped out on work yesterday and went for a ride. All was going well till i heard a loud knocking around eagle mountain. pulled over to the side of the road and oil was running out of the rear fender from below the air box i'm guessing. Had a buddy come get me. Sucks.
low mileage and still running ktm for sale 1500.00?? new tires and 18l tank haha.

Attachments

• unnamed (24).jpg
    unnamed (24).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 17
  • unnamed (23).jpg
    unnamed (23).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed (22).jpg
    unnamed (22).jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
  • unnamed (21).jpg
    unnamed (21).jpg