New tool; Metal Band Saw

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've wanted one of these for some time, but have always been able to work around it. I've used my abrasive chop saw for all kinds of stuff, including narrowing a couple axle housings, building frames & cutting down thick suspension links. Then, a handful of years ago I picked up a SWAG Offroad table using a Dewalt Portaband, but it's best for lighter jobs and handheld cuts don't always come out straight.

With the latest fab project and needing to narrow another axle housing, I wanted a proper band saw for cleaner and more accurate cuts. I've been looking and trying to buy one for a few months, but finally found one for a good price, locally. Paid $100 for an older Grizzly G1010 with 4 1/2" x 6" capacity.

I cleaned it up, picked up a few blades from Lowes for $11/ea and started testing it out. It works great, but is... S L O W. I can adjust the preload on the blade and add a little more weight, if needed. For now, I've just been setting it up to cut and walk away, working on something else while it cuts.

It's pretty small in size, but is just what I need and won't take up as much floor space in the shop. I think it'll be a valuable tool to have around.

20201017_132500.jpg

20201017_132516.jpg

20201017_132855.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I wouldn't be without a bandsaw. I cringe the once-per-year I'm forced to use my abrasive saw. :rofl: That one being a Grizzly is probably slightly better than the "typical" chinesium saw? My 7x12 is an Enco, which is basic China standard but works well now that I've fixed a couple things on it. :)

Greg

Admin
I wouldn't be without a bandsaw. I cringe the once-per-year I'm forced to use my abrasive saw. :rofl: That one being a Grizzly is probably slightly better than the "typical" chinesium saw? My 7x12 is an Enco, which is basic China standard but works well now that I've fixed a couple things on it. :)

Yeah, the Grizzly is made in Taiwan... WAY higher quality! ;)X-D

Greg

Admin
I've used an industrial, fluid-cooled metal band saw working in a friend's machine shop many years ago and there is no comparison to a small, hobby shop bandsaw.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
You will really like having the horizontal bandsaw Greg. Combine that with a vertical bandsaw and you're set for cutting needs. Like Jeremy, I stored my abrasive shop saw about ten years ago when I bought my first horizontal bandsaw and haven't used it since. I had the Jet like yours but the 7x12 that was Taiwanese made and it did a decent job. I sold it about 5 years ago and got what I paid for it to put towards my new one so they usually hold their value fairly well.

As for blades, I would recommend https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/. I've been using them for about 10 years now and their prices are good and the Lennox blades are great and wear very well. I usually keep a few spares on hand for each of my vertical and horizontal bandsaws but they usually last a good long time. I use the Lennox Diemaster 2 bi-metal on my vertical and the Lennox classic bi-metal on my horizontal.

Mike