new transfer case in, now really bad vibes. ideas?

tjbruno

Earlier this fall i was out wheeling, (89 XJ, 6.5 inches, 35's, 44 rear, locked, 4.88's, long arm, so you have an idea of what i am talking about) and i must have knocked something out of line. When I was driving home, i was getting some driveline vibes, so i kept stopping to check it out, i really saw nothing at all. When i finally got on i-15, the higher speeds must have effected something, and my rear shaft tore off the axle, spun around quite a few times, and tore up my t-case (242) like crazy.
I found a 231, and was able to swap out the input shaft so the spline count fit. I also got a free driveshaft from a guy out of i believe an 87 xj that had a 242. Now that it is now all installed, the whole driveline is shaking like mad, and im getting some weird clunking. It shakes from the tranny, t-case, driveshaft, and i think the 'clunking' is coming from the rear axle. It seems to make the noise at even incriments, as if something is spinning and when it hits a certain point on each rotation something goes wrong. I didnt know if i could have messed something up in the gears/locker area. Any help on this would be great, b/c it hasnt moved since oct, and its starting to get annoying.

Thanks.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
well, not to be rude, but let's start with the obvious:

pinion/output angles the same? or if you're running a CV, pinion at 0* or a couple degrees less? Ujoints ok?

I once had a mysterious vibration in a work truck, drove me nuts. I kept checking the u-joints, but no movement... turns out one of the caps was frozen, and by chance it came to rest in a position that didn't allow any movement when I checked it. It finally broke at about 2mph, which is lucky.

just some things to check before REALLY wondering :D ya never know.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I'm going to go with your driveshaft being too short. I know that mine is a bit on the short side and I am only at 4.5 inches on lift. Same T case as yours as well.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Did the driveline take damage (large dents, dings) before the tearing free?

It could have just been the Ujoint giving up.

tjbruno

thanks for the starting points. there doesnt seem to be any movement of the pinion, it seems solid. Im gonna check out the shaft a bit, maybe really get into the rearend. thanks.