New window tint laws

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Do you know who has dark front windows? Idiots!

My wife's expedition is tinted on all but the drivers window. In the dark, it is impossible to see through the passenger window and use the mirror. Backing a trailer at night? Forget about it!

old man rant/off.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have never had a vehicle with legal window tint, I have always done 20% and I will continue to do so. It keeps the vehicle so much cooler in the summer.

Same here.
Do you know who has dark front windows? Idiots!

My wife's expedition is tinted on all but the drivers window. In the dark, it is impossible to see through the passenger window and use the mirror. Backing a trailer at night? Forget about it!

old man rant/off.
I guess I am an idiot. As far as backing a trailer at night, most vehicles have these buttons on the door that when you push them, the window goes down.......and when you are done, you can push it again and the window will go up.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Same here.

I guess I am an idiot. As far as backing a trailer at night, most vehicles have these buttons on the door that when you push them, the window goes down.......and when you are done, you can push it again and the window will go up.

It's hard for us more common folk to reach over and crank the passenger side down. 🤷‍♂️

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Wow, a whole 8% darker? :rolleyes:

I haven't had a car tinted since '05. I've often intended to but just never get around to it. I don't think it makes enough of a difference to bump it to the top of my to-do list.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wow, a whole 8% darker? :rolleyes:

I haven't had a car tinted since '05. I've often intended to but just never get around to it. I don't think it makes enough of a difference to bump it to the top of my to-do list.
I can't remember the numbers, but the last time I had a car tinted, you couldn't get to 43% with the tint shades available, because there is a slight tint to all auto glass, a 45% tint would effectively make your windows 39%. This forced you to use a 60% tint on the front two windows. Or something like that.

ID Bronco

I have a phobia of running over kids. Seriously, I have a friend that accidentally backed over his own son, so I have never put dark tint on my cars. It's just me (and in cold weather I don't want to roll them down to look)

I see the benefit for police to be able to see inside a car. From some of you that have been officers, how do you feel about the tint laws?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a phobia of running over kids. Seriously, I have a friend that accidentally backed over his own son, so I have never put dark tint on my cars. It's just me (and in cold weather I don't want to roll them down to look)

I see the benefit for police to be able to see inside a car. From some of you that have been officers, how do you feel about the tint laws?
I have backup cameras on everything, for this reason (backing over a toddler).

I used to feel the same as you about the LEO issue, but it's something they deal with every day in states with much higher crime rates than Utah where the tint has been dark for decades.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My buddy that owns Express tints in St George sold me on doing ceramic tint on the last car I took to him and it made a HUGE difference in heat even with the lighter front windows.

Before that my zero tinted 4 door truck felt like a fish bowl.

He does a nearly mirrored tint that still has a high transmittance (like 50%)that's pretty slick too.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The first thing I do when I get a new car is tint the windows. I try to match the front as close as I can to the back, which usually ends up in the 25-35% range. I've also adopted the "roll the window down if it's dark and you can't see" routine. It's an easy work around that I'm willing to deal with so that I don't have to have all of you people gawkin at me all day through my windows.

I seriously feel like everyone is staring at me if I'm in a vehicle without tint. Maybe that's a Utah thing, because everyone here is nosey as shit.

As for the fuzz, I just employ that same 'window rolly downy" trick if I get pulled over. They can't hassle me for my tint, and they appreciate that I'm trying to make it obvious that I'm only trying to attack them with my words.

str8axleguy

I’m in the same window roll down routine, my trucks is 20% on the front windows. I do have backup cameras in everything as well. I also have only found tint in Utah to be either 35% or 50% so the 43% is maybe just an odd ball number that isn’t really even an option, 35% sounds better but like previously stated it’s still not really dark enough for me. I’ll just keep rolling down to back trailers as needed.