Next rig options?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Excuse me, forum etiquette is to take bits of information you read online at face value and passing it on without bumming everyone out with your fact checking. That’s what I’ve done here for your benefit, please keep up.
Well my information was based on assumptions and random bits of internets too, and is certainly not from a credible source...

I have actually been looking online for the last hour or so because I've wondered about this in the past too (don't ask why - I don't know) and it looks like the later Double Cab Tundras share fenders with the Sequoias, and they are indeed different than those on the Access Cab (and presumably the standard cab) - more than just flares (although that is one of the differences). This is still just bits and assumptions though...

Don't roll over so easy... You were right! ;) :p

But back to the original topic - I think a 1st gen Sequoia would make a killer rig for @Houndoc .

Houndoc

Unless I go with a trail-ready Land Cruiser, will obviously need to have some work done (lift, lockers) to any of the other rigs being discussed (I think 1st gen Tundra access cab is highest on my non-LC list) or to improve my Xterra if I decide just to keep what I got.
Best shop recommendations (again, remember in my first post I am not a work on them at home guy.) ?

LiveRust

At the end of the day, any option you go with other than a land cruiser, still won't be a land cruiser. ;) I came out of RME ancient history because of this thread. I might be biased since I do have a dog in the race so to speak. That said, I built up my 2011 Tundra, OME lift and 35" tires and ARB bumper and winch... It's great to haul my motorcycle and great for bombing down washboard dirt roads. There are lots of trails I'd take it on, but there are also lots of trails I would not take it on. My 80 series land cruiser pictured above I feel was a good combination of ability to run high speed down dirt roads hanging with a group of guys who are legit pro desert racers. The 80 was able to hang with them on long multi day expeditions. Much more comfortably than my fj40 could have. But unlike my Tundra, I was able to take the land cruiser through the rubicon and didn't shy away from any trails in Moab or AmFk. It's a beast. Good balance of tough and fluffy.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I had my last 80 at the same time as my 1st gen tundra. For cool factor and the light crawling I did, 80 all the way. For daily driving and practicality, tundra by a mile. Lighter, more nimble driving experience. Mine was limited which was nice enough for me. More power, better mpg’s, truck bed. Not as heavy duty, so if you’re going to Africa with it take the cruiser, but for me the tundra was the keys to grab every day. Cruisers get in your system, took me 8 of them to finally get clean, but loving my current tundra on 35’s and always on the lookout for a clean first gen for my kids to drive.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I currently drive a 4th gen V8 4 runner and think it would be great for most of your items. I was on the hunt for a GX thanks to Dave's awesome blue build but found my 4 running in excellent shape. My son had an 03 Tundra that was also a great truck. He bombed many miles of desert dirt roads in that truck and sold it with 200k miles on it with almost zero issues in the 75k miles he owned it.

Houndoc

At the end of the day, any option you go with other than a land cruiser, still won't be a land cruiser. ;) I came out of RME ancient history because of this thread. I might be biased since I do have a dog in the race so to speak. That said, I built up my 2011 Tundra, OME lift and 35" tires and ARB bumper and winch... It's great to haul my motorcycle and great for bombing down washboard dirt roads. There are lots of trails I'd take it on, but there are also lots of trails I would not take it on. My 80 series land cruiser pictured above I feel was a good combination of ability to run high speed down dirt roads hanging with a group of guys who are legit pro desert racers. The 80 was able to hang with them on long multi day expeditions. Much more comfortably than my fj40 could have. But unlike my Tundra, I was able to take the land cruiser through the rubicon and didn't shy away from any trails in Moab or AmFk. It's a beast. Good balance of tough and fluffy.
Glad it got you back on here!
I am strongly drawn to the Land Cruiser option- if my wife and I can settle on a budget!
It won't be a daily driver at all, which opens the options a lot.
I have not heard good things about the back seat of a Tundra Access cab, so drops that lower on my list.
Double cab Taco still a very viable option, especially for hunting.

Houndoc

I currently drive a 4th gen V8 4 runner and think it would be great for most of your items. I was on the hunt for a GX thanks to Dave's awesome blue build but found my 4 running in excellent shape. My son had an 03 Tundra that was also a great truck. He bombed many miles of desert dirt roads in that truck and sold it with 200k miles on it with almost zero issues in the 75k miles he owned it.
4Runner/GX certainly an option, but not sure I gain anything over keeping my Xterra.

Pike2350

Just saw this. If the swap is done well, this could eliminate some of the major drawbacks of the 80 series...also, probably sacrilegious to many LC owners/fans

Condition Used - Excellent, like new
Landcruiser ls swap v8 6.0
-new transmission
New tires
New lift
Rock sliders
New paint job
Custom exhaust
High steer
Hell fire knuckles
Lots of money and time
Ready to enjoy moab
Price firm no trades

1654533092797.png

Last edited:

Houndoc

Continuing to lurk on FJ80 ads, raises a question.

Given the option of otherwise fairly similar age/miles/price, which is the more logical purchase (knowing plan is 35s, lockers front and rear.)
1) Already lifted and decent 35s, but no locker (or factor center dif lock only)
2) Stock suspension, tires etc but factory e-lockers front and rear?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Given the typical markup for factory lockers, you could probably put ARB's in both ends for less $$ and end up with a stronger setup. (the factory lockers aren't "weak", but they aren't as robust as aftermarket units)

I'd put overall condition and maintenance higher priority than factory lockers since people seem to think a factory "triple locked" truck is worth $5k more than an open diff version.