North Utah County Mechanic

R

rockdog

I need some help. We have an 06 chevy cobalt with a 2.2 in it. It is actually my sons gf's car. So last fall they were in Spanish Fork and the cel comes on. He called me and said it is running crappy. I tell him to try and limp home to Lindon. Well long story short, one side of the coil pack had bit the dust. The problem was the cat got red hot. I mean roasting red hot from all the excess fuel being dumped in the cat. I fix the coil pack and new plugs. Clear the code. It runs great. Get another cel. Cat below threshold. I order another cat on line. And put both new o2 sensors in at the same time. She drives it a little while and the same cel. I'm pretty sure the exhaust isn't leaking anywhere. I am stumped? I'm thinking maybe the cheap on line cat? Is this even possible? I need someone with more knowledge than me with a good (better than my) scan tool to tel me where to go next. A good shop. I 'm not asking for free work. I am willing to pay to get the damn thing fixed. It is six months over due on plates. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. A good shop you trust?:sick:
Thanks, Phil

Toad

Bad cat. If you are getting a po420 cat efficiency code is it most likely a faulty cat. O2 sensors are working properly. That is why you are seeing that code. The problem with aftermarket cats is that they are garbage. Especially on newer low emissions vehicles. Did you buy a universal cat?

If you want to call me 435-five one two 6943

Jon

R

rockdog

Bad cat. If you are getting a po420 cat efficiency code is it most likely a faulty cat. O2 sensors are working properly. That is why you are seeing that code. The problem with aftermarket cats is that they are garbage. Especially on newer low emissions vehicles. Did you buy a universal cat?

If you want to call me 435-five one two 6943

Jon

Jon, I bought it on line. It was a bolt in for the car. But it cost like $160.00 Ricks muffler is quoting me $280 for a 48 state cat and $380 for a caly carb one. I just didn't want to keep spending money on it blindly. I wasn't sure if it could be the cheap cat or not?

R

rockdog

Jon, yes PO420 code. It isn't a cali car as far as I can tell. The cat sticker doesn't say cali on it.

Attachments

• witt 003.JPG
    witt 003.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 14

Toad

Looks like it is just federal. It would say cali emissions also. Unfortunately you have a cat that does not meet the requirements for you car. I have been burned myself on GM converters that are not up to par and trigger CEL after replacement. Time for a different convertor.

R

rockdog

Jon, thank you for your help!! Well looks like I'm off to get a cat that is up to snuff.:D

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We used to to do the 200 dollar cats for all our gm's. Lucky if they made it a week before cel light came on. We now don't skip and do a 325 cat through master muffler. They are magna flows aftermarket

R

rockdog

:(
We used to to do the 200 dollar cats for all our gm's. Lucky if they made it a week before cel light came on. We now don't skip and do a 325 cat through master muffler. They are magna flows aftermarket
Good to know. Wish I'd of known sooner.:( I don't get how they can sell a new part that they know isn't gonna work as expected. That is just wrong.:rolleyes:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Rick's will take care of you, I take all my stuff to them. Rick and his son Jesse are wheelers too.

Jon, I bought it on line. It was a bolt in for the car. But it cost like $160.00 Ricks muffler is quoting me $280 for a 48 state cat and $380 for a caly carb one. I just didn't want to keep spending money on it blindly. I wasn't sure if it could be the cheap cat or not?

R

rockdog

Ok, I just wanted to update this thread. I went to ricks muffler and they cut out the new cat and replaced it with a new cat.:) took it for a ride down to Payson and back. Hooked up my scan tool and wala. Clean and ready for emissions. I want to thank Jon one more time for his advice! Lesson learned, all catalytic converters are not created equal! And some are just junk right out of the box.:(