Northshore bike rack.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
After messing around with several cheap bike racks, I have decided to build what I think is the coolest racket an unreasonable price($600). So I have decided to build one. My question is what thickness material should I use. I have some 2x2x.250 tube for the hitch tube. I was thinking of using 2x2x.2. 120 for the riser and the top of the T.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414378705617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414378705617.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414378745365.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414378745365.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 25

mombobuggy

120 wall seems like overkill I would think that o.95 would be more than enough as long as it is well designed. I have been wanting a better way to haul my Bikes in the back of the Truck. Preferably without taking wheels off of them.

gahi

the northshore style rack are pretty sweet, pretty much any bike fits with the tires on. If you have a pickup though, why not just hang them over the tailgate?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have a truck, it's a crew cab long bed diesel, not needed to haul two pedal bikes. When I do take it, I put a blanket over the tailgate. This will be for my jeep and my main ride a 2 door Explorer. I'm thinking a 3 bike would be perfect.
My reason for a Northshore copy is all my bikes have unusual frame shapes and don't fit other racks. Plus it will haul bmx bikes for my kids. I had a hard time spending a couple grand on a pedal bike, can't see spending $500 more one a rack that I can build for $50.
1/16 wall for the upright bar would probably be enough. I have some 1x in. 120 wall that I'll probably use for the cross bar at the top since it's free. I'll post pics once it's done, or started.