Not a good day.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Today I was testing out my homebuilt pullpal. It did great but needed a second hand to hold it in position on flat surfaces. So far im very happy with it. But......... On my way out still on dirt/snow the jeep suddenly locked up and about threw me through the windshield at 10-15mph. Getting out looking at drivelines/u-joints I didn't see nothing wrong. Took it out of 4WD and reversed a bit. Going forward there was some clanking underneath.
Limped home 2wd slowly with the godawful noise clanking around.
Right now my guess is the T-case chain. We'll see once im on the jackstands where it's coming from.
Glad I made it home in time cause the family had lunch plans.
Sad thing is I wasn't even wheeling hard at all, just putting around and this happens.

Tonkaman

It's always good to find these issues while your taking it easy instead of on a tough trail in the middle of nowhere. Glad it was an easy limp home.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yeah im always glad for that but bummed out cause I was planning a big trip this year, and this could put a dent in those plans.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Trying to remember who I got this SYE from last year just in case I need parts. It's a teraflex unit and I picked it up at Lincoln elementary.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Trying to remember who I got this SYE from last year just in case I need parts. It's a teraflex unit and I picked it up at Lincoln elementary.

As long as you know what brand it is, you already know everything you need to get parts, right? The chances of part of the SYE kit causing a problem like that are slim though (unless it wasn't installed properly...) My money is on t-case chain or a ring and pinion issue given what you're describing. Time to unbolt your drive shafts and start inspecting.:(

sixstringsteve

So zero noise in reverse? What about when you're coasting in neutral? You drive a YJ, right?

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I agree with Bryson, chain, or ring and pinion issue.

I once had a loose bolt floating around in a brake drum that caused a lock up, but that was a freak incident.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Im hoping for a chain cause im tired of putting money in axles. Had 4:10's put in 2yrs ago and last year a SYE to get rid of some vibes which I still have a tiny bit. Only have a small 3" lift.

Anyways I'm thinking the worst right now. It's at a shop now and waiting to hear what's broken.

Oh yeah I forgot to update my profile and my rig is an XJ .
I don't wheel all that hard, haven't rockcrawled in years so when "ring and pinion" comes up my stomach turns into knots.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Carnage report :::::
Well. It looks like my locker took a shit. A pin came out somehow and tried to destroy everything in its path Gears included .
I have a super 35 (non c-clip) w/Ox locker and Yukon axles. It was taken from my YJ and put under my XJ. It was rebuilt once already. Wich brings us to plan B.

Good thing I kept the 8.25.
Im putting the original 8.25 w/3.55's axle back in and original 3.55 gears back in the front axle and be done with it. I'll have to run without a locker for a bit but that's OK by me.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What gears do you have now? Would it be better for you to match your current ratio in the 8.25 rather than go to 3.55 in the front? CAN you go 3.55 in front? (there is a carrier break at 3.73 in D30's)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Can a new locker not be put in to solve the problem? did it in fact mess up the gears?

eh, when a locker grenades any part of it, it almost ALWAYS spits metal into the gears, which is bad when they're spinning. Things break in a hurry. I lost a pinion bearing in a 14 bolt and it embedded one of the rollers in the housing, ground one into gritty gray paste, and broke off about 5 teeth on the ring gear. Was not good.

RogueJeepr

Here!
What gears do you have now? Would it be better for you to match your current ratio in the 8.25 rather than go to 3.55 in the front? CAN you go 3.55 in front? (there is a carrier break at 3.73 in D30's)

4:10's in it now but revved a bit high with 31's.
I have the carrier for the front. It's just more cost effective this way than putting 4:10's in the 8.25 since I already have the parts.

Last edited: