Not a metal tech, need some help straightening stainless steel!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Replacing lift cables on my 1972 Starcraft Starlite tent trailer. Previous owner mangled the passenger side lift and sort of got it back together before destroying cables.

The middle section of the lift is the part that is mangled. Its a rough fit into the lower section and the top section binds badly. All parts are stainless steel. I had the body tools out to straighten aluminum trim and channels, but are worthless on the stainless...

looking down this middle section, you can see the bend in it. Just enough to keep it from moving smoothly.

First question, can someone local fix this? Then, how can I best do it myself?

Otherwise, 42 year old trailer isn't in horrible shape, just dirty, and need the roof rebuilt. Laminated foam and plywood don't hold up to snow very well.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Can you use pliers/crescent wrench and bend it out enough that it doesn't bind? or clamp a piece of thick steel plate to the inside, use beefy vise grips so it actually bends the dent flat against the plate.

Last edited:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I do have some stuff at work I might be able to use. And, a few metal working minds to bounce ideas off of.