np 242

4x4phil

I feel like everybody knows this but me so please don't hack on me too hard. I don't know anything about the np 242 accept a lot of hardcore rigs are using it. Why, what does it come out of, what are the benefits, how easy is it to upgrade, what will it fit in?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
4x4phil said:
I feel like everybody knows this but me so please don't hack on me too hard. I don't know anything about the np 242 accept a lot of hardcore rigs are using it. Why, what does it come out of, what are the benefits, how easy is it to upgrade, what will it fit in?

Not sure where you are getting your info, but the NP 242 isn't used in much of anything other than Cherokee's. There's not much of an aftermarket for parts on these, other than a SYE from Tom Woods. No gears available, no heavy duty SYE, not much of anything really. These transfer cases came out of Jeep Cherokee's and some Grand Cherokee's 1987-2000+ (?)

4x4phil

I was checking out the members rides and a lot of the cherokee's were running them. Why would you run that in favor of the 231? Was it just stock? Is the sye from tom woods less expensive? If I'm not mistaken that was the one with the full time 4wd right? So there's really no advantage to them?

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Brett said:
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the NP 242 isn't used in much of anything other than Cherokee's.

A modified 242 is used in H1 hummers. But you are right, there isn't much of an aftermarket for these cases. He's prolly thinking of the 231 :)

tjbruno

I was running a 242 in my XJ. Long story short, it exploded. Had to find a 231 from a 93 and sway input gears, It seems much stronger.

95jeepgrndchke

4x4phil said:
I was checking out the members rides and a lot of the cherokee's were running them. Why would you run that in favor of the 231? Was it just stock? Is the sye from tom woods less expensive? If I'm not mistaken that was the one with the full time 4wd right? So there's really no advantage to them?
The 242's come stock in most cherokee's but the 231 is better. the 242 is selecta-trac and the 231 is command-trac.

4x4phil

Ok this is good. I just thought there was something cool about them that I didn't know. I didn't have it confused with the 231. Due to extraneous circumstances I've had to get to know the 231 really well. :) Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Just an FYI....my last two Cherokee's have both had a NP 242 in them. I've never had any problem with them and I kind of like the Full Time option in winter. :cool:

Ken

What would be nice is to have a HD242. I think that the rubicons have em and some of the larger dodge trucks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ken said:
What would be nice is to have a HD242. I think that the rubicons have em and some of the larger dodge trucks.

XJ, ZJ and H1 (I'm pretty confident they 'beefed' them a little for that heavy pig). I don't think they came in anything else.

Ken

Brett said:
Rubicons have a NP 241ORG or something like that
Yes I may need correction. The fella who sold me my two rear ends gave me that info on the rubicon. Sheesh the things I might believe!!!!!

95jeepgrndchke

Ken said:
yeah the hd's come in the dodge's but as far as the rubicons go the have the 241J, i know this becuase i was going to buy one when i did my swap but the 231 was much cheaper so i just went with it