np249 swap to np231 spline count

TremorGTO

93 ZJ
i have a 93zj. i have a np 249 transfer case. i believe it is starting to die. so instead of getting it repared and suff i think id would rather just swap it out. my question is what spline count is my 249? i hear there is an older 21 spline. and a newer 23. im thinking mine will probably be the 23 spline. is there an easy way to find out. with out ripping it iut of my jeep? also if anyone knows what jeep has the best canadate 231?

Last edited:

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
TremorGTO said:
i have a 93zj. i have a np 249 transfer case. i believe it is starting to die. so instead of getting it repared and suff i think id would rather just swap it out. my question is what spline count is my 249? i hear there is an older 21 spline. and a newer 23. im thinking mine will probably be the 23 spline. is there an easy way to find out. with out ripping it iut of my jeep? also if anyone knows what jeep has the best canadate 231?

I think the easiest swap would be to grab a 231 from a TJ and just swap the input shaft if the spline count or depth are different. It's fairly simple to break them open and make the swap.

jrpcinders

If you have a 21 count you could use a tj case out of a 4 banger because the count is different then the ones out of the six I know that for a fact. Also weigh in the cost of what that would run you and to have someone put it in you might just want to spend the extra and go atlas then the chain driven tcase in other words you would have a better tcase, but that is my opion on the whole thing.