Nuclear Plant in So. Utah

Bud

'98 ZJ
Steve said:
I've doing this for a living for over 25 years and I'm board certified in Comprehensive Health Physics (radiation protection.) I have lots of textbooks, but that won't help you much. Let me root around the web a bit and I'll post some links for you, hopefully later today.

SOOOOOO, no power plant in Utah then, who started this post by saying there was. I would like to know for sure. My uncle works at the plant in Arizona and would like to move up here to Utah soon if they're opening a plant...

Steve

Who Cares?
Bud said:
SOOOOOO, no power plant in Utah then, who started this post by saying there was. I would like to know for sure. My uncle works at the plant in Arizona and would like to move up here to Utah soon if they're opening a plant...
The company I work for is working with several of the consortiums preparing to apply to build a new nuke plant; none of the consortiums are even remotely considering Utah. As I said before, they are all looking at putting a new one next to an existing one as that will be MUCH faster and cheaper to get approval than for a new site. Sorry, your Uncle is out of luck on this. :(

78mitsu

People/dogs/cats/monkeys etc. etc. have always died of "cancer" of one form or another. I don't believe that there has been much of an increase in the ratio of those that get cancer, I think it is simply we are smart enough to know what it is now.

Clutch

Utah Rep. Mike Noel has a desire to add a plant in Utah near Big Water/Lake Powell. There is a huge need for water in a Nuke plant. The government has looked at several sites in the US to start looking at building plants.
I too, highly doubt Utah would ever be considered for a plant.

ZUKEYPR

I don't know man, mixed feelings. My old man most of his life worked at a plant in Apollo, PA and Leechburg, PA that made the plutonium pellets that fuel the subs amongst other things. When they finally shut the plant down they completely dismantled it and even went to the extent of removing the dirt. Where did they put it? In Utah Why? because Utah's natural soil is more radioactive then what they brought.
On the otherside of that coin, my old mans best friends (5 of them) were in charge of testing the effects of the plant down river (Kiskiministis River). They all died horrifically of multitude forms of cancer at very young ages, The river that used to be well populated with fish had not one in it after the plant was there for just a year. Now that the plants gone fish are just now starting to come back. The company had a multitude of anmes throughout the years of NUMEC as well as Babcock and Wilcox. I believe they had the same type of plant in Walla Walla.
As for coal miners losing jobs, I originate from the coal mining capital of the world, SWPA and WV. Yeah I'd have to say that fro every one that was highered at the Nuclear facility about 40 coal miners lost their jobs. When I joined the Army in 1981 the unemployment rate in my county was a wopping 28.7%. Yeah, I remember those days quite well, as well as the panic that insued over three mile Island.