Nut caps

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Anybody know where in town I could find nut caps? Alternatively, what else could I use? I'm thinking about getting some small balloons at the dollar store, those ought to stay on. Nobody will see them inside the truck frame so I don't care how goofy they look. Anything else that'll work?

These are going on the captured nuts under my truck bed, several of which are no longer captured on account of my having to grind them off to remove the bed. I'd like to not go through this next time!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'd be worried more that a cap would just hold in moisture and cause them to seize up again... I think I'd just paint the nuts after you weld them in (just guessing that this is what is going to happen,) apply anti-seize liberally and make sure there's no way for moisture to stay in the cavity where they are. Or am I missing something?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
They're under the bed, inside the c-channel frame, exposed to water and grime and salt and what-have-you. I like a liberal coating of grease or antiseize, but I'm worried that it'll eventually wash off and figured a cap would prevent that, and if I grease them thick enough water won't get under the cap anyway?

But I don't know, hence the thread. If paint and antiseize is the best way to ensure I don't have to cut these bastards off again next time I pull the bed, I'm all for it. :)