OBD Scanner

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I'm looking to get an obd scanner. I want it to be upgradable, scan for codes, and erase codes. Oh yea, I don't want to spend a lot of money for one. What is the best and cheapest ones out there?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have this set up and love it... it reads all kinds of sensors and gives you all kinds of info. I buy the bluetooth parts off of ebay and get a couple at a time cause they die unexpectedly...

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Just so it's clear you are looking for an OBDII scanner correct? Not a OBD scanner. What year and car are you getting this for? Depending on car and year some manufactures have their own software and you need a specific reader.

Also just so you know you can also use one of those bluetooth adapters with a laptop and software.

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
The one I rent from AutoZone has done a landrover, Tahoe, Nissan, and a vw all in the same day. Anything more then that would not be needed. But if some manufacturers require a different program. I would like to upgrade with that program. That is why I wanted it upgradeable. As far as the lap top is con earned. I'm not aloud to touch it anymore.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I have 2 generic scanners like the above, it works with all makes/models but can be temperamental with some German cars or hybrids. But that is few and far between. I use them everyday at my shop, one purchased from snap-on 38$, the other Cornwall 32$. Both work well and are close to the above posted One. They only work for engine and trans codes and live data though, no srs,abs,vsc,body control, eps ect....

The "upgradable" scanners are very costly from what I have seen, 3k$ + and upgrades are 300-500$ after purchase.

Cornwell and snap-on make ones that can read "everything" to a degree in the 80-250$ Ish range Like abs, vsc, mil, srs ect...but are also mostly limited to reading and clearing codes. I find the code is the only thing I really need along with some of the live data, the web does the rest. The cheap 20-50$ ones are good enough IMO.

The other option is ScanGuage II for about $120. It is almost more useful for real-time reading of values from the computer (temps, speed, rpm, air pressure, mpg, etc), but it also has the ability to read and reset codes.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped