OHV education requirement

Tonkaman

Beginning Jan. 1, 2023, Utah will require all OHV operators to complete the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course.

“Operators under the age of 18 shall possess a youth OHV education certificate in order to operate an OHV on public land, road or trail. Operators 18 years of age or older may operate an OHV if they possess an approved adult OHV education certificate.”

This looks like a pain at first glance, but hopefully its the push Utah needs to keeps trails open. I know this class wont actually make much difference in how people behave, but at least they wont be able to cry ignorance anymore when they get busted for being an asshat.

F691005B-C81D-445F-8EC4-1E7671A6766E.png

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Sorry just got to ask is this just something to appear to be doing something or is this actually a requirement?
from the link:

HB 180 and Adult Education Courses

Click to enlarge

Beginning Jan. 1, 2023, Utah will require all OHV operators to complete the Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Education Course.

Operators under the age of 18 shall possess a youth OHV education certificate in order to operate an OHV on public land, road or trail. Operators 18 years of age or older may operate an OHV if they possess an approved adult OHV education certificate.

The adult test will be available on January 1, 2023. Visit recreation.utah.gov for updates.

So road/trail? I decide to drive my street legal vehicle down a gravel road in public land without doing this course what is the penalty?
Someone comes in from out of state, rents a Jeep in Moab, are they required to do this?

Tonkaman

Sorry just got to ask is this just something to appear to be doing something or is this actually a requirement?
from the link:

So road/trail? I decide to drive my street legal vehicle down a gravel road in public land without doing this course what is the penalty?
Someone comes in from out of state, rents a Jeep in Moab, are they required to do this?
It looks like this applies to OHV registrations only. That’s a great point though, because i‘m sure they are missing a big piece of the issue with Jeep rentals and street-legal SXS.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Street legal vehicles should be exempt so a rental Jeep would be fine. That’s the way I interpret it.

RockChucker

It looks like this applies to OHV registrations only. That’s a great point though, because i‘m sure they are missing a big piece of the issue with Jeep rentals and street-legal SXS.
I think it applies to OHV registrations including street legal ATVs like a SXS or a Jeep/buggy that has the small motorcycle sized license plate. If the vehicle has a full size 12" or whatever size plate, no requirement.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I think it applies to OHV registrations including street legal ATVs like a SXS or a Jeep/buggy that has the small motorcycle sized license plate. If the vehicle has a full size 12" or whatever size plate, no requirement.
I saw a FB post where woody just kept telling everyone if you have a 12x6 plate, you’re good.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Sounds like another money grab to me.
How can a free course be a money grab?
The kids have always been required to take a course, so no change there.

I think It's a great idea. I'd even be down for an annual class requirement. The major issue with the OHV community is lack of knowledge and understanding. This may not fix it, but it's a helpful step IMO.

lhracing

I saw a FB post where woody just kept telling everyone if you have a 12x6 plate, you’re good.
Correct, a Jeep as designed is not an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) they are an on-road vehicle with off road capabilities. A SXS or ATV are designed as OHV's and this new requirement applies. A SXS that is Street Legal is still an OHV by design but they can be operated on the street, so the regulation does apply. It kind of comes down to what usage the manufacture designed the vehicle to comply with, safety, emission, etc.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I think It's a great idea. I'd even be down for an annual class requirement. The major issue with the OHV community is lack of knowledge and understanding. This may not fix it, but it's a helpful step IMO.
4727782D-BCB1-448C-BA2F-F66C9C2826AE.jpeg

Jesser04

The tickets that they write for noncompliance is a money grab in my opinion. I’m not down for any class requirement enforce the laws that are already on the books.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Then I guess I don’t understand why you’re saying it’s free.

Kids have always been required to take the class and pay a fee.

The law changes to require adults to take a class that is free, with no change to the kids course.

Capture.JPG

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Doing SUWA’s work for them now?

Unfortunately I have a trip planned in June that I can’t back out of. Im just going to roll the dice on this trip, then I’m done.

Attachments

• 332B15EE-7E19-41A5-9C70-3EBD9E5EADFA.png
    332B15EE-7E19-41A5-9C70-3EBD9E5EADFA.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 51