Old DRZ400 Worth Puttinng Money into?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

So the old DRZ has been a fantastic bike. But it’s tired and I have moved from a beginner status rider to a little bit better beginner and it has me wanting a newer generation of dirt bike like a KTM 350. I had plans of picking up a KLR this year but pushed it back to build a man cave. Now I’m thinking why buy a bigger air cooled bike with similar HP numbers when I already have a lot going on with the DRZ and for about $1500-$2000 I can get it into better dual sport order and know what I have.
Before I start dumping money into the bike I would like to hear your opinions on the plan and what you would do differently or if you would just bag the bike and go with something like a klr or DR650

My thoughts on needed items

Clutch Cable
Rear wheel –Re lace or buy whole new wheel?
Front tire to match rear DOT
Springs front and rear
New Throttle Cables
Change brake pads
Change coolant
New spark Plug and rejet – Have never touched either in 4 years even with new exhaust.
Inspect linkage and bearings.
Windscreen and new light mount (maybe new light)
New gearing, chain
Possibly a Big Bore as they are cheap and it may be time to do new timing chain and valves anyways if I plan to put some miles down.
Look into auto clutch options
Look into luggage options. I love the dry bags but it sucks when I need something from the bottom of one.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
IMO, a newer bike will be light years ahead of your current bike. You will be amazed at the difference. If you can afford it, always upgrade the year of a bike.

However, a newer bike will also need a coolant flush, plugs, tires, etc. You will always have continual parts and expenses. It does not matter what bike you have.

D

Deleted member 12904

I plan on buying a new dirt bike likely will end up with a ktm 350 4t. So the question I guess is I could dump $2k into this or sell it for about $1k take the other $2k and either buy a used bike in the $3k range or tap into the dirtbike budget not get a newer ktm and put the money all together and buy something and try to use it as both a dirt bike and dual sport. Not fond of that idea.
I could pick up a used klr or dr650 and still swing a nice dirt bike but I'm not convinced those will be a any better dual sport bikes then the drz.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
IMO it all depends on what kind of riding you want to to. The DRZ is good in the dirt and decent on the road, but not comfortable for long road rides. A DR650 will be ok in the dirt, good on the road and fairly comfortable (with a better seat) for long days on the road. It's all a compromise, you just have to decide on what kind of riding you're going to do most of the time. I personally think the DR650 is a great dual sport, simple and reliable, yet inexpensive. You can pickup a lightly used DR650 for around $3k, spend some money on a bigger tank, better seat and some kind of luggage solution if you want to travel.

I think a running, riding DRZ it worth more than you think. Unless it has something seriously wrong with it I bet it's worth closer to $2k as is.

D

Deleted member 12904

I need to go ride glockmans dr650. Following him he made it look like we was pushing that bike to its limits in the corners.

As it sits the drz needs a rear rim and clutch cable. The rest of the stuff isn't needed. It might be worth $2k I haven't really looked into value $1k is just based off what I would think.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Well, the DR650 is heavier that's for sure. The suspension is quite soft, stock. It's no dirt bike, but it's makes for a great adventure bike with a few mods. Heavier springs and some work will improve the suspension.

DRZ's are plentiful, I'm sure finding cheap parts to fix yours up to where it's ready to sell (if that's what you want to do) wouldn't take much.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I would suggest identifying what type of riding you like to do and go from there. The DRZ 400 is a much better dirtbike than a klr or dr650, but like Greg said, much better if you want to put some distance on it.

Caleb

I think most are saying the same. If your intention is adv on the drz and get a dirt bike for the tougher off-road riding, I'd say the drz is the wrong bike. Get something more along the lines of the dr/klr for the adv stuff and a dirt bike for the tougher stuff. The beauty of the drz is it can handle most types of riding but it doesn't excel at any of them.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I've been dual sporting it for years now, but I'm still getting my feet wet with multi-day adventure riding.. With that in mind I think it would be tough to beat a DR-Z that's been set up for adventure riding. They're vey very popular with that crowd. I think a fairing and/or windshield, balanced wheels with dual sport tires, proper gearing and a cush rear hub would really transform the bike.

By keeping the DR-Z you still have that off road capability and the ability to make it much more street friendly. A KLR weighs in at 430 pounds without luggage or fuel along with having primitive suspension. Nothing against KLR's by all means they're great bikes, but if you have any moderately difficult trails, or technical riding in mind..... I dunno it is nearly impossible to lighten a bike. It is possible to get more power and comfort.

Come borrow my KTM for a weekend and open a whole new can of worms ;)

D

Deleted member 12904

I've been dual sporting it for years now, but I'm still getting my feet wet with multi-day adventure riding.. With that in mind I think it would be tough to beat a DR-Z that's been set up for adventure riding. They're vey very popular with that crowd. I think a fairing and/or windshield, balanced wheels with dual sport tires, proper gearing and a cush rear hub would really transform the bike.

By keeping the DR-Z you still have that off road capability and the ability to make it much more street friendly. A KLR weighs in at 430 pounds without luggage or fuel along with having primitive suspension. Nothing against KLR's by all means they're great bikes, but if you have any moderately difficult trails, or technical riding in mind..... I dunno it is nearly impossible to lighten a bike. It is possible to get more power and comfort.

Come borrow my KTM for a weekend and open a whole new can of worms ;)

Im up in your general area for work a fair amount. Shoot me your number While I'm not interested in borrowing your bike if we could swing it I wouldn't mind taking it for a 20 min ride to see how it feels.

I have decided my idea of an adventure ride is 70-80% off road 20-30% on road over 2 or more days. After spending the night on adventure rider reading it seems most see it as at least 50/50% dirt pavement many even 70% pavement 30 % dirt.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
If you're wanting a long distance bike that's also acceptable in the dirt, a DRZ just isn't it. Mine does freeway speeds just fine, but it's buzzy, shaky, and windy as a hurricane. Sure you could add a good windscreen, anti vibe bars, DOT tires, gear a bit higher, and add a cush hub and it would likely help those issues quite a bit. But there are bikes that come with all that stock and at similar base prices, and also aren't turning 8000+ RPM on the freeway. The DRZ is basically a street-capable trail bike.

Jared

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I need to go ride glockmans dr650. Following him he made it look like we was pushing that bike to its limits in the corners.

As it sits the drz needs a rear rim and clutch cable. The rest of the stuff isn't needed. It might be worth $2k I haven't really looked into value $1k is just based off what I would think.

I know, I'm late to the party.

When we got home, I was looking at WR's simply because of Andrew. He was right behind me on any paved road at what ever speed my DR would do comfortably and then when we hit dirt, he was gone. Then I realized it's because Andrew is an animal. That said, I think I could do two dual sport bikes pretty easy. But then I could do two street bike and 5 dirt bikes. Like Greg said, it's all a compromise.

When I ride my DR, I ride slow and enjoy the view. I had never pushed it like I did with you guys on that trip. When I did, it wasn't a fun bike. When I want to ride fast dirt, I ride my 300. You have to set limits for yourself like that or you will never be happy.

I still think my DR is OK for mostly dirt adventures. What type of dirt is the determining factor. Dirt road and two track at a relaxed pace and it is great. Anything technical or fast for any period of time and it sucks.
I think you are a more technical kind of guy and for your desired adventure where you are almost always on dirt, the DRZ could be made into a winner.