One step closer to a Husky TE610...

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I sold my Suzuki V-Strom tonight... :-\ I loved that bike, it's probably one of the most affordable, capable adventure-touring bikes ever built. The Strom is very comfortable and easy to just ride as the miles go by. I really loved the bike, but sadly it just didn't fit my needs at the time and I simply wasn't riding it as often as I would have liked. It would be the ideal bike for a big ride, like say... to Alaska and back. :greg: Unfortunately I don't have that kind of time and felt bad that I was only getting out on the bike a few times since I've owned it. Make no mistake, I will someday own another V-Strom.

The next step will be to sell my DR650... again, another great true dual sport. But I want something lighter, with more power... the Husky TE610.

With all these changes, I'm even considering letting the Beater WR450 go and trading it for a smaller, lighter dirt bike. I'm seriously considering a KTM 300 EXC... yeah, the 2 stroke... like Calebs new bike. I do love the massive roll-on torque of the WR450, it's got enough power to scare me, which I like. I don't know that I'll like a KTM 300 EXC in the same way that I dig the WR450, but from what I've seen from the KTM's, they're pretty amazing bikes.

A Husky TE610 and a KTM 300 EXC... I could only be so lucky... :freak:

Caleb

I'll let you ride my bike this weekend, I think you'll be surprised at the torque of it off the line. Not quite a 4T 450, but it's not far off the mark. That was one of my biggest concerns with going to a 2T, it's no longer a concern at all :D

The TE-610 would be a sweet bike. I think it will handle the high speed on-road as well as your DR650 (maybe better having a 6th speed and all), but I think it will far outshine in the dirt. Too bad you sold your V-Strom, your ride reports have me really considering a big bike (probably an F800 though).

Greg

Admin
I'll let you ride my bike this weekend, I think you'll be surprised at the torque of it off the line. Not quite a 4T 450, but it's not far off the mark. That was one of my biggest concerns with going to a 2T, it's no longer a concern at all :D

The TE-610 would be a sweet bike. I think it will handle the high speed on-road as well as your DR650 (maybe better having a 6th speed and all), but I think it will far outshine in the dirt. Too bad you sold your V-Strom, your ride reports have me really considering a big bike (probably an F800 though).

That's good to hear, I've really been wanting to bend your ear about the KTM. I know it's totally different than your CRF, but do you think it's a huge improvement in the technical, nasty stuff? I would imagine, but I'd be guessing. That improvement is what I'm looking for. Good power, light weight. I'm looking at an older KTM 300 EXC that is quite affordable. :cool:

I would love to spend a bit if time on your bike, if you're OK with riding the old WR450. :D

I'm excited about a TE610, I can see that being a great match for what I want out of a bike.

I could have easily kept the V-Strom, but it's a bike that needs to be ridden and I just wasn't getting out enough on it.

Caleb

It's a huge improvement in the nasty stuff. Granted, I haven't been able to ride a ton and I've rode much nastier stuff on my CRF, but the difference is very obvious. On my CRF, if it started to go down, I learned to just let it go down (control it on it's way down) rather than fight it and try to keep it up. I found I usually got hurt less and (obviously) was less tired from not having to try and wrestle with it. Now on my KTM, if it starts to go down (rare), I can man handle it TONS easier, even if I'm in an odd position due to it being lighter and the weight there is there, is much lower. I've also found I don't go down nearly as much because I can jerk the bike around a whole lot more easily, if I'm slightly off my line, I can "make" it get back on the line quite easily. Before buying this bike, I was kinda anti-2T, and I'm still not sold on them being great in all situations, but this 300 is as close to it as I think you'll get. I've heard it referred to as a 3T, kinda the best of both worlds and I can see that now. :)

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'm seriously considering a KTM 300 EXC... yeah, the 2 stroke... like Calebs new bike. I do love the massive roll-on torque of the WR450,

but do you think it's a huge improvement in the technical, nasty stuff? I would imagine, but I'd be guessing.

Then you'll love the 2T. They have massive roll on torque as well ;) I'm betting you'll be looking for an orange bike after you ride Calebs 300 lol. I was talking to Steve on our last AF ride about how I prefer the 2T in the "technical, nasty stuff". For me it's almost ridiculous--I have a WR that is very similar to the WR450's--and I really don't know how you guy's do it on those things it seems like a pita to me. There are places you couldn't pay me to take my WR on the other hand I would consider it fun to attempt on my CR. The difference is like tackling Prichett canyon in a rock buggy or a stock 4 door fullsize truck :D It's all opinion though I've rode with many guy's that could kick my trash on their 4T's :eek:

That said I hope you find a deal on a 610. I've been seriously contemplating selling the WR and switching to a Berg or Husky. For what they are designed for they aren't perfect, but nobody does it better :cool:

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
It's a huge improvement in the nasty stuff. Granted, I haven't been able to ride a ton and I've rode much nastier stuff on my CRF, but the difference is very obvious. On my CRF, if it started to go down, I learned to just let it go down (control it on it's way down) rather than fight it and try to keep it up. I found I usually got hurt less and (obviously) was less tired from not having to try and wrestle with it. Now on my KTM, if it starts to go down (rare), I can man handle it TONS easier, even if I'm in an odd position due to it being lighter and the weight there is there, is much lower. I've also found I don't go down nearly as much because I can jerk the bike around a whole lot more easily, if I'm slightly off my line, I can "make" it get back on the line quite easily. Before buying this bike, I was kinda anti-2T, and I'm still not sold on them being great in all situations, but this 300 is as close to it as I think you'll get. I've heard it referred to as a 3T, kinda the best of both worlds and I can see that now. :)

Then you'll love the 2T. They have massive roll on torque as well ;) I'm betting you'll be looking for an orange bike after you ride Calebs 300 lol. I was talking to Steve on our last AF ride about how I prefer the 2T in the "technical, nasty stuff". For me it's almost ridiculous--I have a WR that is very similar to the WR450's--and I really don't know how you guy's do it on those things it seems like a pita to me. There are places you couldn't pay me to take my WR on the other hand I would consider it fun to attempt on my CR. The difference is like tackling Prichett canyon in a rock buggy or a stock 4 door fullsize truck :D It's all opinion though I've rode with many guy's that could kick my trash on their 4T's :eek:

That said I hope you find a deal on a 610. I've been seriously contemplating selling the WR and switching to a Berg or Husky. For what they are designed for they aren't perfect, but nobody does it better :cool:

That's the info I'm looking for... :cool: Thanks guys! Everything else I've read says the same, I think a KTM 300 will work well for me, but I blame Caleb for putting the idea into my head. And Von for letting me ride his small/light KTM 250 4T.

I don't think I'm all that good on the WR450, so perhaps my riding ability will greatly improve with the 300 die to the weight.

Caleb, have you added a heavy flywheel or any weights to your bike? Also, any idea what kind of mileage you get out of a tank?

There's a '99 KTM 300 EXC locally for $1400, looks very well kept and has some nice goodies, including a Scotts stabilizer. Obviously it's older, but seems like the bikes haven't changed all that much. Any input on a '99?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Good for you Greg!

Before you know it, you'll be drinking from a KTM coffee mug, feeding your dog from a KTM dog bowl, walking your dog with a KTM leash, and wearing lots of obnoxious orange clothing... and thats just the beginning. :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Obviously it's older, but seems like the bikes haven't changed all that much. Any input on a '99?

Remember those times when e-start was your best friend? I know they're not nearly as cheap as that '99, but '08 and newer will get you that magic button.

Caleb

Remember those times when e-start was your best friend? I know they're not nearly as cheap as that '99, but '08 and newer will get you that magic button.
True, for the most part. I have an 08 with no e-start, the XC-W came with the e-start and headlight the XC (what I have) didn't come with either. The guy I bought mine from added the wiring harness for the headlight, so I've put the headlight on and can add the e-start for ~$500. However, kicking my 2T vs. kicking ANY 4T is completely different. My bike generally starts on the first or second kick, so to this point (again, I haven't rode a ton this summer with the new bike) I don't really care it's missing the e-start.

Greg, I haven't added any flywheel weights (I don't think it needs it) but I have added a rekluse. Between my sissy clutch and the lighter bike, I think I feel like a way better rider.

I think the 99 would be a good bike, especially if its clean. However, as Von alluded to, the newer you get, the better the bike. I was told for an XC (they no longer sell the 2T EXC in the US, it's mostly been replaced with the XC-W) 08 and newer are the bikes to get. You supposedly get a better suspension, better geometry, better frame, etc. The thing with KTM, unlike all the Jap bikes, is I don't think they really ever have a BNG year (bold new graphics). Almost every year has something that has changed. They are usually tweaking the frame and suspension geometry. A lot of parts are still interchangeable between the years, but it's not like Honda that 05 to the current year CRFx is damn near the same bike or Yamaha and the WR (07 to current for them). With that said, if that 99 is a clean bike and it doesn't have any issues, then I see no reason not to go for it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Greg, the 05ish and older KTM's are magnets. You either attract or repel and there is no in between imo. I repel everytime no matter how hard I try to make it work :( that is my old 98 300 in Smithfield (great bike, great shape and killer price) that is for sale on ksl for $900. I want a 380 so bad, but I can't for the life of me get in my groove on the early linkless chassis especially from 98-02. The motors are great, the offroad package is great, but I have never struggled so bad trying to keep one going straight in the technical sections. If you choose an early one the 98 and 99's had the WP 50mm Extremes and they are said (and I agree) to be one of the best forks ever put on a dirt bike. They are the definition of plush. The stock rear shock however needs to be sent out to a reputable shop for serous internal work without question.

I also have a billet Scotts upper triple clamp for that bike (98/99) that you can have if you do go that route. I consider steering dampers to be a mandatory upgrade on those years of KTM.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Before you know it, you'll be drinking from a KTM coffee mug, feeding your dog from a KTM dog bowl, walking your dog with a KTM leash, and wearing lots of obnoxious orange clothing... and thats just the beginning. :D

You forgot one: And not waving at the guy's riding Japanese bikes on the same trail as you because you're one of the orange guys :rofl:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Greg, another reason to go newer is KTM's upgrade in 00 (or was it 01 :confused:) to an 8 pole stator. The earlier 300's had a 6 pole design and they leave a bit to be desired in the way of lighting. I've heard you can't retrofit an 8 pole to the earlier motors, but I really haven't researched it beyond that.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
True, for the most part. I have an 08 with no e-start, the XC-W came with the e-start and headlight the XC (what I have) didn't come with either.

I've ridden a friend's '08 XCW 300 w/ e-start and just assumed the XC had 'em too. Guess not...

Did your XC come with the digital display wth speedo, hour meter, etc.?

Greg

Admin
Good for you Greg!

I can't hardly wait... :rofl:

If I could afford a '08+ then I probably wouldn't be able to have the Husky TE610 too. So I'm OK with kick starting an older bike, especially a 2 stroke, considering it'll be my trail bike. I kicked my old WR400 back in the day, I don't think a 2 stroke will phase me. The TE610 has e-start.... :p

Greg, I haven't added any flywheel weights (I don't think it needs it) but I have added a rekluse. Between my sissy clutch and the lighter bike, I think I feel like a way better rider.

I think the 99 would be a good bike, especially if its clean. However, as Von alluded to, the newer you get, the better the bike. I was told for an XC (they no longer sell the 2T EXC in the US, it's mostly been replaced with the XC-W) 08 and newer are the bikes to get. You supposedly get a better suspension, better geometry, better frame, etc. The thing with KTM, unlike all the Jap bikes, is I don't think they really ever have a BNG year (bold new graphics). Almost every year has something that has changed. They are usually tweaking the frame and suspension geometry. A lot of parts are still interchangeable between the years, but it's not like Honda that 05 to the current year CRFx is damn near the same bike or Yamaha and the WR (07 to current for them). With that said, if that 99 is a clean bike and it doesn't have any issues, then I see no reason not to go for it.

I forgot about the Rekluse... man, you're spoiled! :D Since the V-Strom sold, I'm probably going to go look at this KTM tonight. :eek:

Greg, the 05ish and older KTM's are magnets. You either attract or repel and there is no in between imo. I repel everytime no matter how hard I try to make it work :( that is my old 98 300 in Smithfield (great bike, great shape and killer price) that is for sale on ksl for $900. I want a 380 so bad, but I can't for the life of me get in my groove on the early linkless chassis especially from 98-02. The motors are great, the offroad package is great, but I have never struggled so bad trying to keep one going straight in the technical sections. If you choose an early one the 98 and 99's had the WP 50mm Extremes and they are said (and I agree) to be one of the best forks ever put on a dirt bike. They are the definition of plush. The stock rear shock however needs to be sent out to a reputable shop for serous internal work without question.

I also have a billet Scotts upper triple clamp for that bike (98/99) that you can have if you do go that route. I consider steering dampers to be a mandatory upgrade on those years of KTM.

Well, I'm already attracted to the bike... let's hope it feels the same. :D

I've read that it's very important to get the rear spring dead on for the rider weight, with the link-less rear suspension. I'll look into getting a new spring and see if I do need to work on the shocks valving. I hope not, sounds like $$$!

This bike has a Scotts damper on it already, I'll have to see what the upper triple clamp looks like and I'll let you know. Thanks!

Greg, another reason to go newer is KTM's upgrade in 00 (or was it 01 :confused:) to an 8 pole stator. The earlier 300's had a 6 pole design and they leave a bit to be desired in the way of lighting. I've heard you can't retrofit an 8 pole to the earlier motors, but I really haven't researched it beyond that.

Good to know, thanks for sharing! I don't know how crucial lighting will be for this bike, but you never know with these night rides!

Greg

Admin
So... How'd it go?! :D

Well, I won't be buying any KTM branded shirts or coffee mugs at this point. ;)

I rode it and its a nice bike, recent top-end work, started on 2nd kick, plenty of power. Riding it felt like riding a BMX bike, its so small, light and flickable! But I'm just not sure its for me. :(

Greg

Admin
Well, I won't be buying any KTM branded shirts or coffee mugs at this point. ;)

I rode it and its a nice bike, recent top-end work, started on 2nd kick, plenty of power. Riding it felt like riding a BMX bike, its so small, light and flickable! But I'm just not sure its for me. :(

Too add a little more to this, since it was before 5 am and I was posting from my phone, which I dislike....

I had a hard time with the thought of getting rid of my WR450 in trade for the KTM. There is NO question that the KTM would be an amazing trail bike, I can see how it would rule in technical, nasty riding. The kicker for me is that my WR is plated.... I ride it from my house to the desert, up to Glade Park (mountains), etc. It's a great all around bike that suits my needs. I would love the KTM as a trail bike, but I don't think it would be any fun using it how I use my WR. Plating the KTM would be quite a process and a 2T isn't an ideal street bike, so it's kind of pointless.

On top of that, his price was too high, IMO... NADA value is $990 and he wanted $1400 and wouldn't budge too much. It has some nice goodies, but personally I wouldn't pay over $1200 for it.

Here's the bike - http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/2572099138.html