Onion Creek Narrows

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
I thought you couldn't drive the onion creek narrows. we had some rover guys get in trouble 2 years ago for driving down the creek. It's a really cool down in there, I'd love to do it again if it is open.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
andy d said:
I thought you couldn't drive the onion creek narrows. we had some rover guys get in trouble 2 years ago for driving down the creek. It's a really cool down in there, I'd love to do it again if it is open.

Greenjeep is probably better suited to answer this question, but this year it was legal to drive through there. Because they have built a new road (and perhaps other reasons), it seems as though someone (don't know who, and don't want to speculate) is working towards it not being legal anymore. Before you go do it, please check with someone down there BLM, RR4W, U4WDA, ...anyone who might have the proper knowledge of its true status.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
andy d said:
This is the last year (most likely, although we are fighting for it) that the narrows are permitted to be run by the RR4W, But as of right now, we can run it, but if you call the BLM they will say it is closed.

BlackSheep said:
How did you and Dani make out on the raffle?
We won a big, fat, NADA!!!!!!!!
We'll just have to be content with our new shocks. We're still interested in your K&N.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
greenjeep said:
This is the last year (most likely, although we are fighting for it) that the narrows are permitted to be run by the RR4W, But as of right now, we can run it, but if you call the BLM they will say it is closed.

So, does that mean you have to be with or be a member of the rr4w? I will be down there in a couple weeks and I would love to do it. But I do not want to break any rules or give any fuel to the Anti's, if you know what I mean. Thanks for any info. Andy D

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
moved from the EJS thread cause I thought it should have its own thread. More details are always great for these land use issues. Greenjeep is doing a great job as the RR4W land use officer. Thanks for your efforts.

troutbum

cubi-kill
bump, this is a killer trail not hard at all but beautiful, so can the general public run there this year? Seems odd that only RR4W members could go?

chans

I signed up for the rose garden hill trail this year and we ran the narrows but the road was redone and the entrance to the narrows was plowed over so we had to drive off the edge of the road over all the rock that was pushed aside. Without the trail leader knowing where it was you would never see it. There is probably tracks now because this was the first Saturday that I was there.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
chans said:
I signed up for the rose garden hill trail this year and we ran the narrows but the road was redone and the entrance to the narrows was plowed over so we had to drive off the edge of the road over all the rock that was pushed aside. Without the trail leader knowing where it was you would never see it. There is probably tracks now because this was the first Saturday that I was there.

Did they purposely block the entrance?

chans

Brett said:
Did they purposely block the entrance?
No it wasn't blocked on purpose. It looked like they made the road wider and when they went over it with a grader it pushed everything off the side of the road and filled everything in. The depris was down almost to the river so you couldn't tell there had been an entrance there.

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
chans said:
No it wasn't blocked on purpose. It looked like they made the road wider and when they went over it with a grader it pushed everything off the side of the road and filled everything in. The depris was down almost to the river so you couldn't tell there had been an entrance there.

Gotcha.....that happened as well to a lot of roads up on Island in the Sky when they repaved the main road many many years ago.