Opinions on thin blue line flags?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12904

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the black white and blue flags that mimic the USA flag are? People are flying these solo and I find it to be offensive to fly a flag that mimics our nations flag without at minimum flying it below our nations flag as guided in the us code of conduct.

Do you guys feel it's appropriate to fly an organizations flag that mimics our nations colors solo?

If you don't would you be ok with it if it was flown under our nations flag?

D

Deleted member 12904

I guess my thing is you don't see this with military or really anything else. All of these orginazations show proper respect to our nations flag but for some reason it seems to be excepted with the thin blue line flag.

Thursty

Speaking as a cop I don't like it either. I'm fine with it if you fly both flags together but the blue line flag is not our nation's standard. In the agency I work for we had a new guy who, with all the new guy enthusiasm, had blue line everything including the flag on his front porch. A few of us suggested to him that while the sentiment is appreciated the blue line flag is not the same as the Red, White and Blue.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I agree. I think the flag is cool looking, and I get it, but If I were to fly one, it would be the black flag w/ the single blue line down the middle, right next to (or below) the Red, White, and Blue.

- - - Updated - - -

(says the guy with the bacon flag for his avatar...)

ID Bronco

I had to look this up to know what it was. I guess they haven't caught on here yet. (shocker)

I would not fly that without and below a U.S. flag. Same with Don't Tread on Me or POW flags.

Coco

I have no problem with them. As long as they aren't replacing the Star Spangled Banner, and they are being flown together and/or below the Star Stangled Banner I don't have a problem with it at all. I don't feel it is replacing our nations flag, just showing support for officers both fallen and active, representing the 50 states officers serve in of our nation. I haven't seen a single PD flying that flag over the Star Spangled Banner.

If you really want to split hairs, what the difference between this flag, and the military flag patches being flat colors such as green, tan, etc?

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
There's reasoning behind the flag patch on the ACU (Army Combat Uniform).

If deployed or in a field environment the tactical (subdued) flag insignia is used. Otherwise a full color reverse flag is worn.

Aren't the subdued ones UV? At least the real ones (that aren't sold just because they look neat...) so they are identifiable with night vision goggles?

Reverse flag is worn on the right side IIRC, so the flag is aways flying forward. Otherwise it is a sign of retreat. (?)

sixstringsteve

Reverse flag is worn on the right side IIRC, so the flag is aways flying forward. Otherwise it is a sign of retreat. (?)

I always wondered why they wore it reverse. that would make a lot of sense!

Edit - I found this online. You were right (again).

Army Regulation 670-1, “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ‘reverse side flag’.”

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I guess my thing is you don't see this with military or really anything else. All of these orginazations show proper respect to our nations flag but for some reason it seems to be excepted with the thin blue line flag.

A lot of people still fly POW/MIA flags. In my eyes that's equal to the blue line flag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member 12904

Thanks for the feedback Guys. My brother in law that just graduated high school wants to be a tax collector I mean police officer. He has gone way overboard with the whole thin blur I mean blue line stuff and we got into it when he was flying the flag that mimics our nations flag solo in him moms yard. I told him to fly it with respect for our nation or take his gang colors down. He told me I was uneducated and ignorant to say that. Funny enough I was the only one of the two of us that has read and understands the US code of conduct of the US flag.

So I was just curious if others felt it was ok to fly an originations flag that has a very strong resemblance to our nations flag as a stand alone.

D

Deleted member 12904

I saw this today and it made me happy. I took a picture and sent it to my brother in law and aske did I bought him a US flag if he would fly it. He told me I'm a high and mighty ass hole and not to text him or talk to him anymore.